Monstress Volume 1: Awakening by Marjorie M.…

Monstress Volume 1: Awakening

by Marjorie M. Liu, Sana Takeda (Illustrator)

The art in this graphic novel is intricate and beautiful, even when the story is about horrible things. The fantasy world is interesting (and there's enough information by the end to understand what's going on). I like the troubled protagonist, the setting, the magical cats. I'm excited to see where this story goes next. ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 2, 2017 |
I really loved this dark and steampunky fantasy graphic novel. The illustration is amazingly beautiful and the story is unique and engaging. It’s very intriguing to watch our heroine struggle between wanting to be more powerful through her connection to this monster (especially since she’s been in a lot of bad situations) and watching her be concerned about how much damage she can do to those around her with this power.

The world is incredibly interesting as well. There is a lot of world building here and I loved the steampunky fantasy world we are introduced to. You just scratch the surface of all the complexities of this world in this book and I can’t wait to read more books and delve deeper into it.

Additionally I loved the talking cats; I mean you can’t go wrong with talking cats...even if they are slightly evil at times in this book. I can’t wait to meet more types of species and monsters.

The illustration is absolutely beautiful; it’s done in dark lush tones and adds a ton to the story. The novel is easy to follow and highly entertaining.

There are tons of strong female characters in here as well and I always enjoy that. From the heroine, to her companions, to the villains...there are many intriguing strong female characters throughout.

Overall this was amazing graphic novel and I am excited to read more about this story and world. The characters are complex and amazing and the whole story and artwork is beautifully put together. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 28, 2017 |
Elaborate fantasy with elements that seem to be drawn from Egyptian, European, and other sources, including the Cthulhu mythos. Maika, a girl who’s lost her forearm somewhere between the concentration camp she was held in and the present, is seeking to learn more about what happened to her mother. They’re Arcanic—descendants of mixed blood between immortal Ancients and humans—and Maika also has a deadly secret inside her, one that ended the most recent Arcanic-human war by convincing humans that Arcanics had a powerful weapon. Lots of politics, including among the human witches who kill and torture with impunity and the human politicians; very interesting beginning. Also it’s punctuated with lectures on history from a cat. ( )
  rivkat | Dec 6, 2016 |
To flesh out the story a little: the intense young woman is missing an arm; survived some shadowy massacre; is the daughter of a powerful, now deceased woman; and is an “arcane” (human-magical hybrid) who can pass for human. She’s out for revenge against a sociopolitically powerful coven of witches who eat people.

Now, this world is matriarchal, and nearly all of the characters are female. What’s interesting is that this isn’t part of the plot; usually this sort of gender-swap dives head first into man vs. woman politics and/or the differences in a matriarchal society. Nope, not here. Monstress makes a statement simply by giving us a real, solid story that has nothing to do with gender… and just so happens to star women with only a handful of token men, rather than the other way around.

If shadowy, dark, and magical are words that pique your interest, jump right in. There’s some gore, but it’s not splashed front-and-center across the page. ( )
1 vote Andibook | Nov 16, 2016 |
Description: Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900's Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steam punk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both and make them the target of both human and otherworldly powers.

Thoughts: To be perfectly honest, I bought this because the cover was gorgeous. It also sounded interesting.

But I just don't really get it. There are interesting things happening here and a few of the characters are compelling, but the story is vague and unclear and jumbled with metaphysical aspects that are obviously important but have no explanation or grounding which makes them totally confusing. There is just too much going on that made no sense to me and I am not willing to invest continued time and money just to have a little bit of an idea what anything means.

The art, however, is really beautiful. The color scheme is particularly effective. I'll look for more Sana Takeda in the future.

Rating: 3.16
Art: 4
  leahbird | Oct 6, 2016 |

Marjorie M. Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Takeda, SanaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,280,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible