Monstress Volume 1: Awakening by Marjorie M.…

Monstress Volume 1: Awakening

by Marjorie M. Liu, Sana Takeda (Illustrator)

Throughout this book, I kept feeling like I was missing some important element of the story. Like I'd accidentally skipped a prologue that set the stage and explained what was going on in the story's world. But there wasn't an explanatory prologue, and so I felt lost and confused. BUT, some good things about Monstress include: the art. It is so so beautiful. Even when depicting war scenes. Also, I really loved Kippa and Ren. Kippa is a cute little fox child that you can't help but love, and Ren adds some sarcastic comedy to the story that only a cat can. I found it amusing that the book designates five races: humans, the Ancients, the arcana, the Old Ones, and...cats. Cats are so important in this world that they're right up there with the other four.
Overall, 3/5 stars, two of those only because of the art and the cats. ( )
1 vote brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
Review courtesy of Allthingsuf.com

MONSTRESS is a dark, dark breed of fantasy, where the magic and monsters in the world are more likely to prey upon children's bones than protect them. Wade into the horror and cruelty, plunge into this war, and even the hope hidden within carries betrayal and sadness.

This series opens a direct vein into the horror underlying mythology and fairy tales. Magic is no guarantee of safety or protection, but more likely makes you a target for people intent on harvesting your body parts. And while this is a world of women, turning the usual female to male ratio on its head, gender doesn't soften the cruelty of guards or the zealotry of cults. Children are drawn as fluffy, big-eyed sprites, making it all the more painful when they are dehumanized and abused.

This is fantasy with blood dripping from its claws, horror pumping through its veins. Dangerous and beautiful, even the magic that could save this world seems too terrible to be borne. MONSTRESS may never feel comfortable, but it is definitely unforgettable.

Sexual Content: Threats of rape. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 10, 2017 |
The art in this graphic novel is intricate and beautiful, even when the story is about horrible things. The fantasy world is interesting (and there's enough information by the end to understand what's going on). I like the troubled protagonist, the setting, the magical cats. I'm excited to see where this story goes next. ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 2, 2017 |
I really loved this dark and steampunky fantasy graphic novel. The illustration is amazingly beautiful and the story is unique and engaging. It’s very intriguing to watch our heroine struggle between wanting to be more powerful through her connection to this monster (especially since she’s been in a lot of bad situations) and watching her be concerned about how much damage she can do to those around her with this power.

The world is incredibly interesting as well. There is a lot of world building here and I loved the steampunky fantasy world we are introduced to. You just scratch the surface of all the complexities of this world in this book and I can’t wait to read more books and delve deeper into it.

Additionally I loved the talking cats; I mean you can’t go wrong with talking cats...even if they are slightly evil at times in this book. I can’t wait to meet more types of species and monsters.

The illustration is absolutely beautiful; it’s done in dark lush tones and adds a ton to the story. The novel is easy to follow and highly entertaining.

There are tons of strong female characters in here as well and I always enjoy that. From the heroine, to her companions, to the villains...there are many intriguing strong female characters throughout.

Overall this was amazing graphic novel and I am excited to read more about this story and world. The characters are complex and amazing and the whole story and artwork is beautifully put together. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 28, 2017 |
Elaborate fantasy with elements that seem to be drawn from Egyptian, European, and other sources, including the Cthulhu mythos. Maika, a girl who’s lost her forearm somewhere between the concentration camp she was held in and the present, is seeking to learn more about what happened to her mother. They’re Arcanic—descendants of mixed blood between immortal Ancients and humans—and Maika also has a deadly secret inside her, one that ended the most recent Arcanic-human war by convincing humans that Arcanics had a powerful weapon. Lots of politics, including among the human witches who kill and torture with impunity and the human politicians; very interesting beginning. Also it’s punctuated with lectures on history from a cat. ( )
  rivkat | Dec 6, 2016 |

Marjorie M. Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Takeda, SanaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible