Crusade (2007)

by Robyn Young

Series: Brethren Trilogy (2)

Follows the efforts of Brethren member Will Campbell to discover who is sabotaging the group's peace-keeping efforts, an investigation that is hampered by a cabal of merchants that would promote war in the Middle East to increase their profits.

English (8)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
Interesting tale of a Knight Templar, one of the Brethren. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Adventures in Acre and the surrounding areas in the 13th century when the power of the European crusade settlements is crumbling; easily readable, probably not that memorable, but I will seek out the final book in this trilogy. ( )
  mari_reads | Mar 3, 2012 |
Will Campbell is a Templar Knight trying to keep a balance between his life as a templar and the love of his life. He's also a man sworn to promote peace in a war-torn world.

To be brutally honest I found myself occasionally wondering why I was bothering and why the characters were bothering. Several of them blurred together in my mind and I really couldn't care less occasionally if they lived or died. I have no real urge to read book 3. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 3, 2010 |
I just started reading this book. I understand that it is the second book in a completed trilogy. I bought it on the remainder table at my local Indigo store and, although I prefer to start reading a trilogy starting with the first book, I decided to risk it and start with the second one. So far I have had no problems, as the author in the first 40 pages seems to have done a very good job of reviewing important events and characters from the first book before continuing on.
Ever since reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, I have become a pushover for any historical novel about medieval or renaissance eras with evil and not-so-evil churchmen and rulers of principalities and empires, especially if it also contains something about books, libraries, and lost or threatened manuscripts.
Then when quite a few years later, and Dan Brown came along, it looks like a whole new genre has blossomed. Of course these two authors were not the first to delve into this fairly broadly described style. Now whenever I can find a much earlier example of those topics, I like to compare them and see if I can find any more similarities.
Do any of you out there work on the same obsessions? I am guessing yes.
  libraryhermit | Sep 9, 2009 |
For the person who read the last book first, this one put so many pieces of the puzzle in place for me. The two suprises for me were Baybars being killed by his son and the possibility of Rose being Garins son (yes I forgot this one from the last book). Throughout the book Robyn has certainly captured the atmosphere and you can feel the fear, the anger, the love and sorrow felt by all the charectors. I loved the atmosphere at the end when Acre is being attacked and felt moved and sad for the survivors and that things had progressed to that point when they had all worked so hard.d Well done Robyn, I would recommend this trillogy in a second. ( )
  Freisianbeauty | Jul 10, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,895,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible