God Emperor Of Dune: The Fourth Dune Novel…

God Emperor Of Dune: The Fourth Dune Novel (original 1981; edition 2003)

by Frank Herbert (Author)

Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, trades his humanity for immortality and, as the magnificent sandworm of Dune, desperately attempts to save humankind.
Member:ThomasBrand
Title:God Emperor Of Dune: The Fourth Dune Novel
Authors:Frank Herbert (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2003), Edition: 01, 464 pages

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert (1981)

English (62)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (65)
Taking place thousands of years after Dune Messiah Leto II is still alive and is now considered Emperor/God of the empire. He physically looks much different now as he excepts the bodily changes of turning into a sandworm. His body and mind still hold on to some human things. For one he keeps bringing Duncan Idaho back to serve him, Duncan keeps the unhuman part of Leto at bay. Most people under Leto do not agree with the way he runs things. Many want to overthrow him.

I find all the characters in the Dune Universe are so different and interesting in their own way. My favorite character in this one was and is Duncan Idaho. I wonder how many times Leto had cloned him or how many of Duncan’s children or grandchildren ran about Arrakis.

Not much is explained as to why the golden path leads Leto to become a sandworm or why all the worlds will go downhill when he is gone. There are many questions left unanswered but I can let some go because real-life leaves questions unanswered.

I will continue to read the rest of the Dune series. I think fans of Science Fiction, and Family Sagas will enjoy this series. I say this as a fan of lite Science Fiction, I don’t like SciFi books too heavy and all science jargon. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jul 6, 2021 |
I consider this the bookend to the Atreides Saga. The first book was and is a classic but the next two weren't as good. This book gets closest to the quality of the first book but manages to stand out on it's own as a great work. The reference that have been made because of this book are many but its influence is far more subtle. I look at the God Emperor as a character that is truly original. I haven't read anything that has a lead character that is both all powerful and extremely flawed but is at peace with knowing all of this. This book shows that you can write a character that is very powerful but sympathetic to the audience. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 14, 2021 |
The 4th book in the Dune series was my 2nd favorite so far. The 3rd book build on House Atreides in an unexpected way, veering away from Maud Dib to another darker path. This book takes that darker path and runs with it. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
This is the 4th post in a series on my reread of the Dune books, and it became yet another lengthy text of about 8,720 words. I’ve also written long analyses of Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

My text on Dune itself focuses on the issue of Paul as a tragic hero, without free will, and has some notes on the book as a literary construction. The one on Messiah compares it with the first book, and also deals with its relationship to the concept of eternal recurrence – a strong Nietzschean undercurrent that ties into Paul not being an Übermensch – and with the relationship between prescience and the absence of free will. The article on Children is over 10,000 words long and deals with the tragedy of Alia, change as a key concept in the series, a Nietzschean morality beyond good & evil, and Amor Fati, among other things.

I’ve tried to keep overlap between this text and the previous ones to a minimum, so if you’re interested in a deep desert dive, please read those first.

Before I’ll zoom in on Leto’s conceptual character, and questions about prescience, the nature of the Golden Path and the question whether the world portrayed in this book is mystic or mechanical, I’ll try to write a proper review of sorts. If you’re also interested in the more philosophical matters, or in the various inconsistencies introduced in this novel, read on afterwards.

How to assess God Emperor of Dune in the series? In my recollection I thought Dune was by far superior to the 2nd and the 3rd book, but when I finished the series, I thought book 5 and 6 were the best. God Emperor is the only book I don’t have specific memories about anymore.

So far, my rereads have more or less confirmed my feelings: Messiah is dumbed down to the point it became bothersome – even though the emotions saved it in the end; the intrigues and Alia’s character make Children an above average read, even though conceptually it is a bit of a mess, and Herbert didn’t achieve the same purity of message as he did with Dune itself.

Similarly, after rereading God Emperor, I simply don’t have very outspoken feelings about it. It was an okay read, and by any standards Leto is a remarkable character – maybe the strangest character I have ever encountered in fiction. That by itself is an achievement.

The novel is often portrayed as heavy on philosophy, and I can understand what people mean by that, but I’d rather say it is sprinkled with tidbits that make you think, instead of calling this a philosophical book. Often these passages are mildly intellectually stimulating, but at the same time, taken at face value, generally taken the form of sweeping generalizations about humanity. Because they often lack nuance they more than once made me shrug – Herbert’s attempt at Nietzschean aphorisms do succeed once in a while, but they don’t fully compensate for the main structural weakness of this book.

(...)

Full text on Weighing A Pig Doesn't Fatten It ( )
1 vote bormgans | Jan 19, 2021 |
I suppose if I had to spend thousands of years becoming a human/sandworm hybrid, any book I wrote would be pretty trippy too. Also, I think I'm pretty much Dune-ed out at this point. *looks listlessly at the pile of four remaining books*

"It has occurred to me more than once that holy boredom is a good and sufficient reason for the invention of free will" (35). ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webber, Phil H.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists.

Tomorrow I will be born someone else in another place. I have not yet chosen. This morning, though - ahhh. this life!

When my eyes had learned to focus, I looked out at sunshine on trampled grass and I saw vigorous people going about the sweet activities of their lives.

Where ... oh where has all of that vigor gone?

~ The Stolen Journals
To
Peggy Rowntree
with love and admiration and deep appreciation
Prologue -

Excerpt from the speech by Hadi Benotto announcing the discoveries at Dar-es-Balat on the planet of Rakis:

It not only is my pleasure to announce to you this morning our discovery of this marvelous storehouse containing, among other things, a monumental collection of manuscripts inscribed on ridulian crystal paper, but I also take pride in giving you our arguments for the authenticity of our discoveries, to tell you why we believe we have uncovered the original journals of Leto II, the God Emperor.
The three people running northward through moon shadows in the Forbidden Forest were strung out along almost half a kilometer.

Millennia have passed on Arrakis, and the once-desert planet is green with life. Leto Atreides, the son of the world's savior, the Emperor Paul Muad'Dib, is still alive but far from human. To preserve humanity's future, he sacrificed his own by merging with a sandworm, granting him near immortality as God Emperor of Dune for the past thirty-five hundred years.

Leto's rule is not a benevolent one. His transformation has made not only his appearance but his morality inhuman. A rebellion, led by Siona, a member of the Atreides family, has risen to oppose the despot's rule. But Siona is unaware that Leto's vision of a Golden Path for humanity requires her to fulfill a destiny she never wanted--or could possibly conceive....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,468,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible