The Woman in the Photo: A Novel

by Mary Hogan

On her eighteenth birthday, genetic information from Lee Parker's closed adoption is unlocked. She also sees an old photograph of a genetic relative, a nineteenth Century woman with hair and eyes likes hers, standing in a pile of rubble from an ecological disaster next to none other than Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross. Determined to identify the woman in the photo and unearth the mystery of that captured moment, Lee digs into history. Her journey takes her from California to Johnstown, Pennsylvania, from her present financial woes to her past of privilege, from the daily grind to an epic disaster. Once Lee's heroic DNA is revealed, will she decide to forge a new fate?… (more)

In “The Woman in the Photo” (2016), Mary Hogan weaves three stories into one. These three threads include Lee, a contemporary California woman who has long known she was adopted as a baby but knows nothing about her birth parents. On her 18th birthday she is given a glimpse at an old photograph that shows two women, one of whom may be her ancestor. This starts her on a quest to discover what she can about the women in that photo.
Another thread, and for much of the novel the main thread, is Elizabeth Haberlin, a spoiled rich girl from Pittsburgh who is the daughter of the personal physician to that city's wealthiest families. In 1889 she is about the same age as Lee is now and about to make her debut, when she is expected to have her pick of some of the wealthiest young men in western Pennsylvania. And there is even a handsome young Englishman who is charmed by her.

The third woman — the third thread — is none other than Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross.

What brings these three together in one story is one of the great American tragedies, the Johnstown Flood, which tore so many families apart. Elizabeth is one of the privileged few who spends summers at the exclusive South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club in the mountains above Johnstown, Pa. For their pleasure, a mountain stream has been dammed to create an artificial lake just outside their mansion-like cottages. When heavy rains cause that dam to give way, a tidal wave of water pours over Johnstown, killing more than 2,200 people.

The flood brings Clara Barton to Johnstown. And when Lee finally identifies her in that photo, she is on her way to identifying that other woman and, in time, find a family she didn't know she had, right there in Johnstown. Meanwhile two of the three women find true love, poor Clara remaining a spinster. How all this happens makes a good story, even if it sometimes seems a little too neat and Hogan's language at times inflated. Yet this latter fault might be excused by the fact that part of the story has a 19th century narrator, a time when inflated language was customary. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Oct 25, 2020 |
This is the first historical fiction I have read that deals with the flooding of Johnstown on May 31st, 1889. This is a very dramatic and tragic aspect of the book and one of the reasons I liked the book so much was just the fact that it really moved me.

But, I'm getting ahead in the story. We are first introduced to the characters in the dual stories, Elizabeth Haberlin a rich young woman who spends the summers by the beautiful lake above the town of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. She spends the summers rubbing shoulders with the Carnegies, Mellons, and Fricks and she seems at first to be just another rich spoiled girl. But, as the story progresses do we learn more and more about her she is actually a very bright, although sheltered girl. And, a disastrous event will change her whole life...

In the present story do we meet Lee Parker, who on her 18th birthday finally learns more about her real mother. She was adopted as a baby and she loves her adopted mother, but she has a need to find out more about where she came from. In her papers is there a photo of her mother, standing in a pile of rubble from a disaster, besides Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross. She got curious and decides to find out more about this...

I really liked this book, the class differences that are a large part when it comes to both stories. At first, I found Elizabeth Haberlin a bit hard to connect to, but after a while did she start to grow on me and towards the end did I find myself really liking her. Contrary did I find Lee Parker to be right from the very start a fabulous character, easy to connect with. I also liked how the Jewish lifestyle was a big part of both stories. All and all is this a great book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
What a wonderful wonderful ending to both protagonists in the end of the book. Now I can understand, after having read the epilogue, why the older protagonist was written in first-person. This book is such a well juxtaposed rendition of both historical fiction and a modern setting including , even barely touching , on the rights of women, the accomplishments of determined women like Clara Barton, and a tragedy based on class indifference. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
This novel tell the fictional story of a young girl seeking her biological mother. She uncovers a photo of a woman who may be a relation standing alongside Clara Barton in the aftermath of the 1889 Johnstown Flood. It was good and compelling, I enjoyed it. ( )
  AstridG | Aug 24, 2017 |
"You and your people are in no danger from our enterprise." - Benjamin F. Ruff, President of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club
To the resilient people of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Past and present.
"Elizabeth, please!" Mother looks away from the train window long enough to eye me sharply. "Why do you test me?"
"Biology is destiny, my darling. We all must be who we are meant to be."
"A leopard that is born a leopard and raised a leopard will never be a house cat."
The moment I saw the woman in that photo---my blood---I realized how much I'd needed to know all along.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Hogan's book The Woman in the Photo was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,443,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible