Evidence of Things Unseen by Marianne…

Evidence of Things Unseen

by Marianne Wiggins

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (WSB7)
    WSB7: Similar overarching theme.
    The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Similar narrative voice; a deep love story in the early days of hydro-electric power

IN STORAGE
  Peacemaking | Jan 25, 2017 |
Second reading, by way of my wife's nomination of it for our book group. An inspired, emotional work. I grew to care for these characters. Interwar to postwar period, from Outer Banks of Carolina to the Tennessee River region, ending out West. Sadness and tragedy inform much of the story, but it ends on a more hopeful note. (Earns an extra half star this time.) ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Aug 8, 2016 |
This was really quite a different read for me. I found it an amazing book. The writing was sort of a beautiful flow of poetic writing.

I did find that at times I sort of struggled with reading it.

The book covered historical events which I love reading and the great wars. There was so much going on in the story.

Would say this book covers history death and love. I would say this would make a good discussion book. ( )
  georgiapeach47 | Oct 14, 2011 |
After I read The Shadow Catcher I knew I had to read another Wiggins book. I am certainly glad I did. Evidence is so well written it sweeps you away. It is about love and physics and discovery and tragedy. I love her writing style, her methods and fully intend to read more of her writings. ( )
  THEPRINCESS | Jan 16, 2011 |
poetic and tragic ( )
  fr3dt3ch | Jan 20, 2010 |
Severin and Melville, Those two essential salts
Somewhere in the heart of North america there is a desert where the heat of several suns has fused the particles of sand into a single sheet of glass so dazzling that it sends a constant signal to the moon.

This poetic novel, by the acclaimed author of John Dollar, describes America at the brink of the Atomic Age. In the years between the two world wars, the future held more promise than peril, but there was evidence of things unseen that would transfigure our unquestioned trust in a safe future.

Fos has returned to Tennessee from the trenches of France. Intrigued with electricity, bioluminescence, and especially x-rays, he believes in science and the future of technology. On a trip to the Outer Banks to study the Perseid meteor shower, he falls in love with Opal, whose father is a glassblower who can spin color out of light.

Fos brings his new wife back to Knoxville where he runs a photography studio with his former Army buddy Flash. A witty rogue and a staunch disbeliever in Prohibition, Flash brings tragedy to the couple when his appetite for pleasure runs up against both the law and the Ku Klux Klan. Fos and Opal are forced to move to Opal's mother's farm on the Clinch River, and soon they have a son, Lightfoot. But when the New Deal claims their farm for the TVA, Fos seeks work at the Oak Ridge Laboratory -- Site X in the government's race to build the bomb.

And it is there, when Opal falls ill with radiation poisoning, that Fos's great faith in science deserts him. Their lives have traveled with touching inevitability from their innocence and fascination with "things that glow" to the new world of manmade suns.

Hypnotic and powerful, Evidence of Things Unseen constructs a heartbreaking arc through twentieth-century American life and belief.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

Falling in love during the Second World War, a soldier and a glassblower's daughter eventually have a son, who in adulthood finds his own love affair impacted by the fallout of the atomic age.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,408,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible