Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Prelude to Foundation (original 1988; edition 1994)

by Isaac Asimov

7,21988991 (3.73)1 / 59
In the year 12,020 G.E., Hari Seldon arrives in the domed city of Trantor and begins to develop his theory of psychohistory, which predicts the rise of a power greater than the Empire.
Member:Cralex.Kokiri
Title:Prelude to Foundation
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Voyager, Paperback, 464 pages

Work Information

Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov (1988)

Recently added byxlthlx, TurtleWave, Enzokolis, jpricer, Feathered-Friend, Hemamayigowda, private library

English (79)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Russian (1)  Slovak (1)  Czech (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (88)
Todo la saga de robots/imperio/fundacion se encuentran contenidas en este libro, los que les ponen pocas estrellas no logran comprender en su totalidad el valor en la linea de tiempo y a si mismo lo que nos quiere decir en general.
Esto es un analisis sociologico de Trantor cuya diversidad de formas toma partes de la historia humana de las sociedades reales y te hace pensar en ellas.
El libro va tirando pistas para un final magnifico, es genial leer los nombres de Aurora, de la Tierra y esa aproximacion de los nombres de los heroes de la mayoria de los libros de la serie de robots, si uno se pusiera a pensar tal vez podria darse cuenta de la sorpresa que encierra esta aventura pero es mejor no adivinar asi te golpea en la cara y lo sentis hermoso.
Creo que lo disfrute aun mas al haber leido antes la trilogia principal de fundacion ademas de todos los libros anteriores a este.
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
This book was Asimov's retrospective account of the early years of Hari Seldon as he groped towards founding his science of psychohistory, with which he later guided the work of the Foundations that he caused to be set up in the original Foundation trilogy in order to bring order to the chaos of the declining and disintegrating Galactic Empire. This is a story of Seldon's flight through various sectors of the imperial capital planet Trantor from the mysterious hostile forces pursuing him to gain the secrets of psychohistory that they believe he holds. There are some great characters in here and a good narrative drive. This was Asimov at the height of his SF writing powers during their second wind in the 1980s. ( )
1 vote john257hopper | Dec 5, 2021 |
Whew, what to make of this? I'm beginning to think I prefer Asimov's non-fiction. His fiction was ever a bit (or more than a bit) clunky, talky and static ... to be honest, the exalted status of the Foundation Trilogy in sf-dom always puzzled me a little, since -- while I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong -- I far preferred other series, even as a youngun ... James Blish's Cities in Flight, for example.

While I was reading this novel, a poor pun kept occurring to me: that Asimov's writing here didn't so much engender a "sense of wonder" (itself a much-maligned term) as a "sense of blunder" -- a kind of "oh, god, Isaac ... *really*?" This echoed with particular volume during the Mycogenian sequence ... where Hari Seldon and Dors Venabili encounter a Trantorian subculture where -- da da DUMMM -- hair is considered obscene. Golly. The future isn't so much unimaginable as just plain stupid.

It's kind of a commonplace to say that Asimov's writing improved as he aged, but in a way I disagree. I came away from this feeling like the freshness and ... eagerness? ... of the early work has been lost, and what's left is just slightly embarrassing. I remember that many years ago TV legend Norman Lear attempted a comeback with a new series (I can't remember the name) and, while on the surface he was doing the very same things that made his earlier work groundbreaking, funny and trenchant, the formula just didn't work any more and it failed with a clunk. There's a similar feeling here, for me at least.

(And It's somewhat creepier to take note of Asimov's leer-y attitude toward the female body here, since his status as sf-dom's "Man with a Hundred Hands" reputation has become more widely known. That made me sad)

Still, I kept reading. Why? I'm not sure. Uncle Isaac is so genial. I had fun. And the ending was a neat surprise, I thought. ( )
  tungsten_peerts | Oct 25, 2021 |
I read it when I was a teenager but I re-read it when the new Foundation series came out on Apple TV+. It's quite suspenseful, and there were many laugh-out-loud moments. I'd forgotten how funny Asimov could be. There were surprises at the end, and I'd forgotten some of them, so it was fun to be surprised all over again. ( )
  troymcc | Oct 20, 2021 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anselmi, PieroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cormier, WilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segrelles, VicenteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennifer "Green Pencil" Brehl,
the best and hardest-working editor in the world.

CLEON I - The last Galactic Emperor of the Entun dynasty. (Chapter 1 Headnote)
Suppressing a small yawn, Cleon said, "Demerzel, have you by any chance ever heard of a man named Hari Seldon?"
Text:
Suppressing a small yawn, Cleon said, 'Demerzel, have you by any chance ever heard of a man named Hari Seldon?'
When I wrote "Foundation," which appeared in the May 1942 issue of Astounding Science Fiction, I had no idea that I had begun a series of stories that would eventually grow into six volumes and a total of 650,000 words (so far). (Author's Note)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,142,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible