The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron

The Forgetting (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Sharon Cameron (Author)

Canaan is a quiet city on an idyllic world, hemmed in by high walls, but every twelve years the town breaks out in a chaos of bloody violence, after which all the people undergo the Forgetting, in which they are left without any trace of memory of themselves, their families, or their lives--but somehow seventeen-year-old Nadia has never forgotten, and she is determined to find out what causes it and how to put a stop to the Forgetting forever.… (more)
Member:sennebec
Title:The Forgetting
Authors:Sharon Cameron (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2017), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages

The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron (2016)

Nice branch off from the why are we here and why is there a wall around us theme. Nadia is a very tough and likable protagonist, surrounded by a varied and well drawn cast of characters. Every 12 years, The Forgetting happens, erasing everyone's memories. Some riot, some, die, some become members of the Lost, people unable to get back any memories and relegated to menial tasks. Everyone keeps their book with them at all times so they can write things they want to remember when the next Forgetting happens. When Nadia begins slipping over the forbidden wall to explore, what she finds, who catches her when she returns and what she remembers from before, all combine to set in motion a series of events and discoveries that threaten to turn everything she thought was true, on its head. Following her and Gray makes for a very interesting story. ( )
  sennebec | Jan 14, 2020 |
What isn't written, isn't remembered. Even your crimes. Nadia lives in the city of Canaan, where life is safe and structured, hemmed in by white stone walls and no memory of what came before. But every twelve years the city descends into the bloody chaos of the Forgetting, a day of no remorse, when each person's memories -- of parents, children, love, life, and self -- are lost. Unless they have been written.

Nadia is the only person in Canaan who has never forgotten.

But when Nadia begins to use her memories to solve the mysteries of Canaan, she discovers truths about herself and Gray, the handsome glassblower, that will change her world forever.
  Gmomaj | Dec 7, 2019 |
Every twelve years the citizens of Canaan simultaneously lose their memories, resulting in a temporary and often violent chaos until their journals are retrieved from the city's archives. The next Forgetting is imminent, and Nadia has a big secret: she, out of everyone, has never actually forgotten. Together with her friend Gray, as they explore the forbidden lands outside the city walls, she begins to suspect that the origins and causes of the Forgetting are far more sinister than the stories they've been told all their lives.

While I had some difficulty getting into the story during the first three or so chapters, after that it was off to the races and it was a challenge to put it down. It's a neat twist on the teen dystopia genre. Though a sequel has been written, I'm not sure it needs one; it stands on its own pretty well. ( )
  ryner | Oct 4, 2019 |
The first half of The Forgetting is really fun. Sure, it's a silly YA novel, but it's engaging, enjoyable, and the characters and world are good. The second half is... the second half isn't so great. It's a mess, and too many conflicts are resolved in unsatisfying manners. There's also far too much bouncing around in terms of who remembers or has forgotten what.

Still, I think the author has potential if she can get her future novels under control. A lot of YA is pure drek, so this one was definitely above average for the genre. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
At first, I wasn't sure about this book. The concept is very intriguing, but it was a little slow and I didn't love Nadia. It definitely got better though, especially once some things were revealed. I liked Gray a lot, he was so irritated with Nadia but then loved to tease her. And Genivee was also pretty great. I loved that she was so smart and observant and made things happen. What a great little sister. The whole thing about what's really going on with the Forgetting and the town was pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the second book. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
For all who remember they can change the world.
I have forgotten.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible