The Girl Who Played with Fire (2006)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millennium (2)

27,82889384 (4.12)1 / 793
On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

English (796)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (19)  German (10)  French (9)  Swedish (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (893)
A step down from the first in the series and it feels like the editorial work was less tight. There's a lot of long, tedious lists of food that people buy which adds nothing of interest. It feels like Larsson put as much detail as he could think of into it but after his passing whoever edited the work wasn't ruthless enough with the red pen. ( )
  ElegantMechanic | May 28, 2022 |
I love Lisbeth Salander. Really.

This book takes right off from the last book and it doesn't stop.

What I want to know is about the author. It states on the last page that he submitted all three books and then died. Has anyone thought this remotely suspicious? Could these stories be a touch more than fiction? Could he be Kalle F. Blomkvist? Is there a real Lisbeth? Obviously he is extremely knowledgeable on the subjects that he has written about and is passionate about bringing them to light and trying to change things. Could he have written a little too close to the truth? Was he silenced himself?

These are thoughts that I think of after reading this book.

The characters are complex and full. I enjoyed the looks into everyone's thoughts and the overlap. I liked wondering about where Lisbeth was and then finally hearing from her herself.

I love Lisbeth Salander. Really. She is kick ass.
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I can't stand the ending because now I have to read/listen to the third one! It was a thrilling listen. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |

1 Blonde Giant

1 Very Entangled Conspiracy
Several Unconvincing Fights

The Short Version:
I found this installment considerably less compelling than the first in the trilogy - and if I'm honest, it felt like the author did too. We set up a thorny problem with exploitative sex trafficking - and that gets largely dropped in favor of what felt like cheap reveals of Salander's past. We don't get to follow along in the investigation nearly as much and instead get a lot of details on what Salander purchases at IKEA, at the 7-11, which streets and buses she takes to get anywhere and how many coffees she (and everyone else) drinks.

I was fine with the slower beginning (though the entirety of Grenada was so irrelevant as to be painful) but annoyed by both the "big reveal" and the climactic / action scenes which didn't really seem to have anything to do with the set-up. Meh. ( )
  Caramellunacy | Feb 28, 2022 |
The heroine was too good at everything. It started to seem way over the top by the end.
  smbass | Jan 30, 2022 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,531,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible