The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Series) (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Stieg Larsson (Author)

25,88486382 (4.13)1 / 787
On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)
Member:NicoletteMarie
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Series)
Authors:Stieg Larsson (Author)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2011), Edition: Reprint, 752 pages

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (772)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (14)  German (10)  Swedish (9)  French (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (863)
Volume II of the Millennium trilogy in the British ed., the US ed. isn't due out till Jul 28, 2009. The English language translation for the III vol. isn't due out till Jan 2010. Eek. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
Good but not good as first part. ( )
  devendradave | Sep 1, 2020 |
Here is the great thing about the continuation of Larsson's "The Girl..." series. He doesn't spend a lot of time recounting what happened in the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It is as if he depends on you to immediately pick up the next book in the series order to keep the drama going at breakneck speed. Larsson does fill you in wherever necessary for the sake of plot flow; and to catch you up in case you have forgotten some small detail. How he knows that. I don't know. For the most part, The Girl Who Played with Fire is its own story in and of itself.
Lisbeth Salander is "growing up" before our eyes. You cannot help but like this tough, odd woman-child. She starts removing tattoos and piercings, not because she wants to change her identity (although those simple changes and breast implants alter her previously recognizable look considerably), but rather because she is changing internally. She is starting to feel things which may or may not be a good thing. After being away from Sweden from a year she comes home which definitely is not a good thing. I won't go into the details, but Lisbeth finds herself accused of a triple murder which is a brilliant move on Larsson's part. This allows for Lisbeth's past to be revealed under intense scrutiny. Many questions about Lisbeth's character come to light.
Meanwhile, Salander's former flame, Mikael Blomkrist, is busy as editor back at Millennium. Mikael continues to be the ladies's man, this time starting a relationship with the very woman he was asked to find in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Considering how that book ended, this may or not be a good thing as well. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Aug 28, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book and thought it was entertaining and am attached to the characters. My main critique is that I felt that I had to suspend my disbelief a little too much for certain things that happened. ( )
  InfiniteWolves | Aug 12, 2020 |
I must admit - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is still my favorite of the series. It was so audacious and at times shocking, and I miss that sense from the second two books.

I understand that this is an unfair criticism - you can't replicate audacity from book to book, almost by definition.

To put it another way - certain aspects of Dragon make it unlike pretty much anything I've read in the genre. Fire and Hornet's Nest are more typical genre exercises. This is not to say that they're not among the very best of the genre - but they're far more standard fare.

Mostly, though, I like how personal - almost intimate - Dragon is. I've never been a big fan of huge conspiracy crime stories.

However, that's a purely personal preference. As far as huge conspiracy stories go, this is as good as anything I've read! ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,809,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible