About the Night by Anat Talshir

About the Night (edition 2016)

by Anat Talshir (Author), Evan Fallenberg (Translator)

Member:RuthAH
Title:About the Night
Authors:Anat Talshir (Author)
Other authors:Evan Fallenberg (Translator)
Info:Amazon Crossing (2016), 394 pages
Collections:Prime Lending Library

About the Night by Anat Talshir (Author)

The end was a bit repetitive and too „ Hollywood „. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jul 12, 2019 |
Retelling a love affair that mirrors the fate of a divided Jerusalem, Anat Talshir’s About the Night invites readers in a broken world filled with broken people and breaking hearts. Like Berlin, Jerusalem was divided by a wall. Just as in Berlin, people, families, friends and lovers were split when the wall went up. But what if love had only just grown, still standing on that cusp of enthralled certainty? What if love were frozen by a wall, then thawed into a different world when the wall comes down?

Jew and Arab, Lila and Elias, meet in the time of British rule. Neither knows the other’s history, but romance blooms like the scent of tea, well-brewed, gently breathed from a cup held between the palms. This is no fast torrid romance, nor love-at-first-sight; it’s no well-planned affair. But it’s a believable love, first love for a woman who’s never imagined such emotions could be hers.

There are religious barriers to this love, of course. But walls make real what hearts are striving to break. Wars make eternal what once might have passed in the night. And different expectations make for different results.

About the Night invites readers to ponder the meaning of love and family, how they are both created and sustained, and how they can break. It’s told against a backdrop of Jerusalem then and now, of religion here and there, and of survival and hope. It’s a haunting, beautiful tale, best read slowly over cups of well-brewed tea with warm steam filling the air.

Disclosure: I got it on a deal and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Apr 20, 2018 |
About the Night by Anat Talshir, translated by Evan Fallenberg This is a beautiful story. There's so much to love and appreciate here. This is one of those stories that really make me love historical fiction.
The setting as a big part of what I loved about the story. People try to do stories of this kind in made-up scenarios and though some work, using the events that transpired in Jerusalem in the middle of the last century is just genius. There were so many things that I never quite understood about that era that can't really be described in a typical history class type setting. It was so well addressed here while never allowing the events of the day to interfere with the story or seem like it existed solely to explain the conflict. It was just a part of the world, the way the tension was between the two groups, the way that lives were destroyed.
I loved the characters. I feel like I really understood them and their motives. They had a level depth that is rare in any story. I’m sure that this is in part due to that the reader knew most of their entire lives by the end, but none of that was delivered in a strained way. It just flowed naturally through the story. The writing was just amazing. It made the shifting points of view and times feel natural. I'm not a fan of frame type stories, and this one could have been written that way, but the style was just a bit different.  Elias was telling the story to Nomi, but they're written as flashbacks and not one person explaining it to another, which I thought worked much better.
This was the first book I finished during this year’s Women in Translation month, and it’s actually my first translated fiction ever. I don’t quite know what I was expecting, but it never felt translated or like the language was forced in any way. Fallenberg, the translator, did a great job and he seems has done at least nine other translations. Check the out here.  ( )
  Calavari | Sep 28, 2016 |
About the Night by Anat Talshir & wonderfully translated by Evan Fallenberg; (3 1/2*)

This book takes the initial conflict between the Jews and the Arabs in the new state of Israel and focuses this story on a personal level. We see the new Eastern cultures from the eyes of two individuals, one from each culture. While the love story was special, I would have very much have liked to been allowed to read more about the details of living In Israel/Jerusalem during this time. ( )
  rainpebble | May 23, 2016 |

Talshir, AnatAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fallenberg, EvanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my beloved family
She said nothing, and neither did he.

On a hot summer day in 1947, on a grandstand overlooking Jerusalem, Elias and Lila fall deeply, irrevocably in love. Tragically, they come from two different worlds. Elias is a Christian Arab living on the eastern side of the newly divided city, and Lila is a Jew living on the western side. A growing conflict between their cultures casts a heavy shadow over the region and their burgeoning relationship. Between them lie not only a wall of stone and barbed wire but also the bitter enmity of two nations at war. Told in the voice of Elias as he looks back upon the long years of his life, About the Night is a timely story of how hope can nourish us, loss can devastate us, and love can carry us beyond the boundaries that hold human beings apart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,266,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible