This Tender Land: A Novel by William Kent…

This Tender Land: A Novel (original 2019; edition 2019)

by William Kent Krueger (Author)

For fans of Before We Were Yours and Where the Crawdads Sing, a magnificent novel about four orphans on a life-changing odyssey during the Great Depression, from the New York Times bestselling author of Ordinary Grace. 1932, Minnesota--the Lincoln School is a pitiless place where hundreds of Native American children, forcibly separated from their parents, are sent to be educated. It is also home to an orphan named Odie O'Banion, a lively boy whose exploits earn him the superintendent's wrath. Forced to flee, he and his brother Albert, their best friend Mose, and a brokenhearted little girl named Emmy steal away in a canoe, heading for the mighty Mississippi and a place to call their own. Over the course of one unforgettable summer, these four orphans will journey into the unknown and cross paths with others who are adrift, from struggling farmers and traveling faith healers to displaced families and lost souls of all kinds. With the feel of a modern classic, This Tender Land is an en­thralling, big-hearted epic that shows how the magnificent American landscape connects us all, haunts our dreams, and makes us whole.… (more)
Member:THerb7919
Title:This Tender Land: A Novel
Authors:William Kent Krueger (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2019), 464 pages

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger (2019)

To the Bright and Shining Sun by James Lee Burke (gypsysmom)
    gypsysmom: Krueger and Burke have similar writing styles. Plus both books are about young people caught in difficult economic times.

This Tender Land. William Kent Krueger. 2019. What a beautiful coming of age novel! Krueger is a fabulous writer. He reminds me of Harper Lee. Even though they are not Indians, Odie and his brother are put in the Lincoln Indian Training School when they are orphaned. The superintendent is a sadistic bitch. Because of a series of misadventures, acts of God, and luck they manage to escape from the school in a canoe . They take a mute Indian friend and the young daughter of one of their favorite teachers. The plot revolves around their adventures as they paddle down Minnesota’s Gilead River to the great Mississippi to their Aunt in Saint Louis. Kruger has done his research on Indian schools and the depression. This is as beautiful as his Ordinary Grace was. ( )
  judithrs | Sep 4, 2021 |
Wonderful book with amazing children heroes who have lost all of their family and fallen into the hands of adults who play at being good. Their only hope seems to be escape from the school.

1932: Located on the banks of the Gilead River in Minnesota, Lincoln School is home to hundreds of Native American boys and girls who have been separated from their families. The only two white boys in the school are orphan brothers Odie and Albert, who, under the watchful eyes of the cruel superintendent Mrs. Brickman, are often in trouble for misdeeds both real and imagined. The two boys' best friend is Mose, a mute Native American who is also the strongest kid in school. And they find another ally in Cora Frost, a widowed teacher who is raising her little girl, Emmy, by herself.

When tragedy strikes down Mrs. Frost, it's the catalyst for a series of events that will send Odie, Albert, and Mose to rescue Emmy and flee down the river in a canoe, heading for the mighty Mississippi, leaving a dead body in their wake. Soon, they are wanted by the law, and they know that Mrs. Brickman will stop at nothing to track them down for dark reasons of her own. Over the course of this unforgettable summer, Odie, Albert, Mose, and Emmy carefully make their way through the small river towns and big cities filled with people who are by turns desperate and generous, cruel and kind. As they search for a place to belong, these four remarkable children will lose their innocence but gain the strength to survive in the face of terrible loss. ( )
  Gmomaj | Aug 30, 2021 |
A good read. A good story well told. ( )
  Renzomalo | Aug 22, 2021 |
Great writer! Great story! I read it in one day! I do love 'coming of age' stories told by master storytellers. Highly recommend! ( )
  RobertaLea | Aug 22, 2021 |
Another wonderful William Kent Krueger story. I saw this was compared to "Where the Crawdads Sing". "This Tender Land" was far better. An almost mythical story of 4 children and the challenges they face as they make their way in a hostile world. They find cruelty and kindness, family and eventually themselves. ( )
  debfung | Jul 12, 2021 |

Krueger, William Kentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story.
-Homer, The Odyssey
For Boopie, with love
In the beginning, after he labored over the heavens and the earth, the light and the dark, the land and sea and all living things that dwell therein, after he created man and woman and before he rested, I believe God gave us one final gift.
“Ask me, God’s right here. In the dirt, the rain, the sky, the trees, the apples, the stars in the cottonwoods. In you and me, too. It’s all connected and it’s all God. Sure this is hard work, but it’s good work because it’s a part of what connects us to this land. This beautiful, tender land.”

William Kent Krueger. This Tender Land: A Novel (Kindle Locations 4-6). Atria Books. Kindle Edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible