A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

A Study in Scarlet Women

by Sherry Thomas

Series: Lady Sherlock (1)

"USA Today bestselling author Sherry Thomas turns the story of the renowned Sherlock Holmes upside down... With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London. When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She'll have help from friends new and old--a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her. But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society's expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind"--… (more)

Historical fiction isn't really my cup of tea, but I do love a good mystery! I thought the two would balance out, especially since A Study in Scarlet Women was about a female Sherlock. I really enjoyed the author's take on a classic tale, and thought she did a wonderful job making Charlotte our brilliant detective. Even the Watson connection was creative! Thomas made this story entirely her own, while still making certain aspects feel familiar.

Unfortunately, the time period proved to be incredibly frustrating. Charlotte was forced to make a difficult decision that had serious repercussions. She didn't anticipate the fallout, and it really impacted how the world saw her afterwards. Charlotte wanted to go to school, and she should have been allowed that opportunity without the rigmarole. Even the other women in this book were disappointing. Where was the solidarity and understanding?

I also disliked how slowly the story progressed, and really just wanted to know how the mystery played out. Charlotte's childhood, her time spent at home, the time she spent searching for a job -- I could have done without all of that. I enjoyed watching her be Sherlock Holmes and using her underappreciated mind to find solutions and make observations that others overlooked. It was interesting how everything tied together in the end, and I think the second book might be a little less frustrating since she's established herself now.

However, I would have liked for the romance in this book to have been more than it was. Yes, the guy is married (which means they should keep their hands to themselves), but unhappily. He also has an amazing connection with Charlotte, and the two of them really sparked when they were in a room together (super upset that he's married with a wife and kids). I don't know how that's going to play out, especially with the rules of the time period, but it's already way too complicated for my liking. A Study in Scarlet Women was a solid three-star read for me.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on September 23, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
I was a little apprehensive about starting this series, because I tend to be very hit-0r-miss when it comes to mysteries. But I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I'm looking forward to binge reading the rest of the released books in the series (and I see that a new book will be added to the series in October, hooray!).

I love how the author completely reimagines the Sherlock Holmes stories and yet makes it feel so authentic at the same time. I also LOVE that Charlotte is clearly on the autism spectrum, as is her older sister, Bernadine. Even characters who aren't alive during the book's time frame, like Dr. John Watson and Mr. Sackville, still feel like they have a presence in the story. And the tension between the married Lord Ingram and Charlotte? Delectable. ;)

I also enjoyed how the author could make us feel sympathetic to a character, such as the murdered Mr. Sackville, and then just come along and completely blow him out of the water and left my jaw hanging open.

I have read none of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, mainly because I'm usually hit-or-miss when it comes to mysteries, as I mentioned above. But reading this book has made me definitely decide that I am going to read the original stories, as well, although my head canon now will always probably align with the canon that is presented in these stories (as in, Livia is dutifully chronicling her sister's exploits and changing just enough details, like Mrs. Watson being her husband in those stories, to keep up appearances. Also, how heartbreaking is Jo and John's love story? I love the idea now of John "staying alive" in the Sherlock Holmes stories that Livia writes.) ( )
  schatzi | Sep 1, 2019 |
After reading A Conspiracy in Belgravia, the sequel to this book, did I just have to read A Scarlet Women to get to know Charlotte Holmes from the beginning, to learn more about what happened before the events in A Conspiracy in Belgravia. And, I just have to tell you that this book is fabulous, one of the best Sherlock Holmes series I have read besides the original stories and the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King.

I quite enjoyed getting to know more about Charlotte Holmes, why she ran from her home after the scandal (the whole mess is quite entertaining, how she figured out a way to get what she wanted, but alas everything backfires) and how "Sherlock Holmes" was "born". Without Charlotte would no one have suspected that the three deaths are linked together and thanks to a dear friend who knows the truth about Sherlock Holmes can Charlotte try to find out who the killer is and why the people had to die.

A Study in Scarlet Women is an excellent historical mystery, the humor, together with the interesting mystery and the wonderful Charlotte makes this book a great read. I'm so glad to have found a new historical mystery series to read and I can't wait for book three to be released! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I was hesitant about picking up another play on Sherlock Holmes, but I saw some good reviews and figured I would give the book a chance. I was not disappointed. While there are some problematic moments (and a HUGE trigger warning I cannot give without a spoiler), overall, the book is an excellent play on what the story would be like if a society woman was born with the mind of Sherlock Holmes. We're not dropped in when she's already established; rather, we get to see what brought her to the point of "becoming" Sherlock. There are a lot of shout outs to SH fans throughout the book, and I enjoyed the creative way Thomas brought in all the old familiar characters one way or another. I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
I read some of Thomas’ romance novels some years back and they fell firmly into the category of mostly-forgettable, probably because they were just not my cup of tea. But this was very satisfying as a story playing with the Holmes-and-Watson mythos in some unexpected ways, as a murder mystery and as a story about the constraints and opportunities women in Victorian society had.

Charlotte Holmes has run away from home in disgrace and is trying to find a job in London. But when one of the gossips responsible for exposing Charlotte dies, suspicion falls on Charlotte’s sister Livia and Charlotte uses the persona of “Sherlock” Holmes to direct a murder investigation.

I would have liked to have seen more of relationship between the Holmes sisters -- but maybe there will be more of that in the sequels.

She wasn’t beautiful, but she was darling. People responded to her the way they would a nursery rhyme character all grown up and come to life. ( )
  Herenya | Apr 8, 2019 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colucci, AlanaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estreicher, TiffanyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rebenshied, ShaneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the beautiful person and constant delight that is Sean.
Had anyone told the Honorable Harrington Sackville that the investigation into his death would make the name Sherlock Holmes known throughout the land, Mr. Sackville would have scoffed.

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,743,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible