A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock…

A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock Series) (edition 2016)

by Sherry Thomas (Author)

Member:ChelseaRSmith
Title:A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock Series)
Authors:Sherry Thomas (Author)
Info:Berkley (2016), 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Mystery

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

This is a delightful spin on Sherlock Holmes. Sherry Thomas created a gender bending mystery that takes place in the late 1800s London. Charlotte Holmes and her sidekick Mrs. Watson set up shop as amateur sleuths. How they got to that endeavor and the various characters that surround the story are well-written and fun. Even though the plot involves multiple murders, this is a very light read that has a slight romantic mix as well. I will definitely read the next in the series when I need another palette cleanser. ( )
  beebeereads | Sep 9, 2018 |
I put this in the "beach read" category. Some promising ideas and fun storylines but not very sophisticated. Keep your expectations in check and just enjoy the premise of a female Sherlock. That's the best part. ( )
  jpnygard | Aug 2, 2018 |
holy carp, I NEED the rest of this series! This is the best non-Doyle Holmes story I have ever read. ( )
  hopeevey | Jun 16, 2018 |
A Study in Scarlet Women
5 Stars

Ostracized from society, Charlotte Holmes is forced to fend for herself on the street of London, but is still able to make use of her formidable mind by aiding the police, under the guise of Sherlock Holmes, in the investigation of three seemingly unrelated deaths.

Charlotte is an intriguing and endearing heroine, and the murder mystery is compelling with lots of surprising revelations. While it is possible to follow the clues along with Charlotte and figure out some of the aspects of the crime, some of the smaller details still escaped me, which only added to my enjoyment of the story.

The secondary characters are exceedingly well developed. Whether it be the victims, the suspects, the investigators or the members of her Charlotte's family, each individual plays an important role in contributing to the evolution of the plot.

In terms of the romance, while the possibility of one exists (Charlotte and her potential love interest certainly have a great deal of chemistry), it is still very remote at this point and it will be interesting to see where Thomas takes it.

Figuring out the numerous allusions to the original tales and characters by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is an additional highlight, but it is the unique twist that Thomas employs with them that make the story all the more engaging.

In sum, a fantastic beginning to this historical mystery series and I look forward to continuing with it. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Even though I read the second in this series, and then a mini story BEFORE the first in the series, I was able to enjoy all three very much. I am pretty sure that I would have enjoyed them even more if I had read this brilliant book first. I never learn.

This is the story of how Charlotte Holmes became free of her parents, earned the scorn of society, met Mrs. Watson, and started her own business. It is a great way to open the Lady Sherlock series, telling you enough to command your interest but not quite enough to satisfy you fully.

As a fan of Sherlock Holmes and Sherlockesque mysteries, I think this series is an excellent take on the Sherlock idea. For those not so taken with Sherlock Holmes, this is still a great series.

Highly Recommended and highly recommended that you start with the first book!

Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colucci, AlanaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estreicher, TiffanyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rebenshied, ShaneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the beautiful person and constant delight that is Sean.
Had anyone told the Honorable Harrington Sackville that the investigation into his death would make the name Sherlock Holmes known throughout the land, Mr. Sackville would have scoffed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042528140X, Paperback)

USA Today bestselling author Sherry Thomas turns the story of the renowned Sherlock Holmes upside down…

With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society.  But even she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London.

When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She’ll have help from friends new and old—a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her. But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society’s expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 08 May 2016 08:34:05 -0400)

"USA Today bestselling author Sherry Thomas turns the story of the renowned Sherlock Holmes upside down... With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London. When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She'll have help from friends new and old--a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her. But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society's expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind"--… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,920,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible