A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock…

A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock Series) (edition 2016)

by Sherry Thomas (Author)

Series: Lady Sherlock (1)

"USA Today bestselling author Sherry Thomas turns the story of the renowned Sherlock Holmes upside down... With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London. When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She'll have help from friends new and old--a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her. But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society's expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind"--… (more)
Member:Chai.Tea
Title:A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock Series)
Authors:Sherry Thomas (Author)
Info:Berkley (2016), 336 pages

Work Information

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

So, it turns out Sherlock Holmes is actually the invented alter ego of a woman named Charlotte Holmes. And Charlotte's in a bit of trouble right now because she engineered a sex scandal for herself so her parents couldn't force her to marry, and it ended up being a little too scandalous. If only she could make her own way in the world by solving mysteries...

It's kind of a fun concept, but it took me a while to get into this one at all. Based on the titles in the "also by this author" list at the front of the book, Sherry Thomas is primarily a romance writer, and boy did the early chapters read a lot like the (admittedly very few) romances I've read. Which, no shade on romance readers, but they're very much not my sort of thing. Fortunately for me, after a few chapters, once we properly get into the mystery plot that's at the heart of the story, I found things a great deal more appealing. Unfortunately, the mystery, while it was definitely interesting, wraps up in ways that I didn't find entirely satisfying. Maybe to some extent it's just me being dumb and not following all the threads carefully enough, but I don't think that's entirely it. I think there are some pretty big not-terribly-succesful leaps here in how things connect.

Also, the way the "Charlotte is Sherlock" conceit is handled is just odd. For about half the book, it's just flat-out not acknowledged in this weirdly coy way, to the extent that the writing completely (and once or twice quite awkwardly) avoids using any pronouns for Sherlock. We've got Charlotte doing her things in one thread of the narrative and Sherlock writing letters to people in another, but frustratingly there's no explanation until quite a long way through about how Charlotte developed this pseudonym and what she's using it for, or anything. And yet, it doesn't seem like it's supposed to be some kind of shocking revelation. Even if it weren't spelled on the back cover blurb, it still wouldn't be the slightest bit surprising.

I will say, I did actually end up enjoying this considerably more than I thought I would in the beginning. But not as much at the end as I thought I would in the middle. Ultimately, it was at least mildly diverting, but I'm almost certainly not going to bother with the next book in the series. ( )
1 vote bragan | Sep 10, 2022 |
I found this book slow at the start and I had a hard time getting into it, by midway I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish. But I was so glad I kept going because by the end I was gripped and could not believe it but it ended. I wanted to keep reading. I really hope the rest of the series keeps up with the same pace as the end of this one. It was delightful to discover how our beloved Sherlock Holmes stories were reimagined. Each piece seemed like a little wink and nod and had me giggling. The mystery was delightful, and I really started to love the characters. ( )
  yonitdm | Sep 1, 2022 |
After reading A Conspiracy in Belgravia, the sequel to this book, did I just have to read A Scarlet Women to get to know Charlotte Holmes from the beginning, to learn more about what happened before the events in A Conspiracy in Belgravia. And, I just have to tell you that this book is fabulous, one of the best Sherlock Holmes series I have read besides the original stories and the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King.

I quite enjoyed getting to know more about Charlotte Holmes, why she ran from her home after the scandal (the whole mess is quite entertaining, how she figured out a way to get what she wanted, but alas everything backfires) and how "Sherlock Holmes" was "born". Without Charlotte would no one have suspected that the three deaths are linked together and thanks to a dear friend who knows the truth about Sherlock Holmes can Charlotte try to find out who the killer is and why the people had to die.

A Study in Scarlet Women is an excellent historical mystery, the humor, together with the interesting mystery and the wonderful Charlotte makes this book a great read. I'm so glad to have found a new historical mystery series to read and I can't wait for book three to be released! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
Good characters. Good story. Believable plot. I enjoyed it enough to continue the series - even if I have to pay retail to do so. ( )
  plunkinberry | Jun 21, 2022 |
I RARELY give 5 stars. This is a great take on classical literature. The plot was engrossing and the ending left you wanting to read the next book. Love it. ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colucci, AlanaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estreicher, TiffanyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rebenshied, ShaneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the beautiful person and constant delight that is Sean.
Had anyone told the Honorable Harrington Sackville that the investigation into his death would make the name Sherlock Holmes known throughout the land, Mr. Sackville would have scoffed.

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,965,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible