How This Book Was Made by Mac Barnett

How This Book Was Made (edition 2016)

by Mac Barnett (Author), Adam Rex (Illustrator)

Member:AriannaMaine
Title:How This Book Was Made
Authors:Mac Barnett (Author)
Other authors:Adam Rex (Illustrator)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2016), 48 pages
Collections:Fantasy & Science Fiction, K-2nd Grade Readers
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Bookmaking, based on a true story, writing

How This Book Was Made by Mac Barnett

This is the semi-true story of how books are made, from writing to ending up on bookshelves, waiting for readers. It ends by including the reader in the process and having everyone waiting for the reader. ( )
  Tarawyn | Dec 1, 2017 |
I liked the book How This Book Was Made written by Marc Barnett for a few reasons. Firstly, I enjoyed how the story is based on a true story but has outrageous events that occur. For example, a tiger stands up on two legs and texts on his phone, a tiger reads a book, King Kong is on the empire state building, pirates attack a shipment of books, dogs play poker, books grow beards, and Benjamin Franklin hangs on top of a building, despite being deceased. In this book, Barnett writes about the importance of the writing process as well as the actual process that a book goes through before it is published. He embellishes it with hyperboles and humor to further entice the readers. I love that he adds all of the humor, because I find myself laughing throughout the book and wanting to read more work by the same author. I like that this book is both informative and entirely made up.
Another reason I enjoyed this book is that I loved the detail that went into the illustrations that Adam Rex so eloquently made. The endpapers in the book for example, are tiger stripes as the personified tiger shows up in multiple parts of the book as he is texting, arm wrestling with the author, reading books, and talking to the author. On two pages of the book, the entire page almost consists of all illustrations and no words. If one looks closely in the background, you’ll find silly and fictional characters. For example, on one page there is the talking tiger, a standing lizard, a cheeseburger with eyes and arms, a walking octopus, pterodactyls flying, a muffin with eyes and arms, and a bear holding a pitchfork. The first time I read the story, I paid little attention to the illustrations. When I read it the second time through, I realized the illustrations clearly enhance the story and make it even more humorous. Without the illustrations, the book would not be as interesting, and therefore not entice readers to continue reading.
I believe the main idea of this story was to explain what a writer goes through from beginning stages of planning, to the end stages of publishing a book. The author and illustrator decided to throw fantasy and humor into the book in order to easily convey the process of writing. ( )
  AriannaMaine | Oct 12, 2017 |
Very fun story for this author to read to his kids. Nice that the long process of book creation can be broken down for children & be entertaining for all.

PS to the author: How about a sequel about teaching pirates to read so they'll know real treasures when they find them? ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Oh my gosh. It starts off with the simple story the title gives away. Then it gets hilariously crazy. From the Goodreads description:

New York Times best-selling creators Mac Barnett and Adam Rex reveal the nitty gritty process of making a book . . . with a few unexpected twists along the way! Budding writers and artists will laugh at the mix of reality and the absurd as the story makes its way to a shelf, and a reader.

I was indeed entirely entertained, and I had a hard time not laughing out loud in the middle of the library. I'm a writer, but I've never tried to publish a children's book. I didn't realize it could be so dangerous and crazy! heehee I've read some reviews that said other Mac Barnett & Adam Rex team up books are even better; I can't wait to find out if that's true. But I definitely loved reading this one. ( )
  katekintail | Jun 4, 2017 |
(160)
  activelearning | Dec 31, 2016 |

You may think you know how this book was made, but you don't. Sure, the author wrote many drafts, and the illustrator took a long time creating the art, but then what? How'd it get into your hands? Well, open the cover and read through these pages to find out. Just beware of the pirates and angry tiger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,074,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible