Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious (2002)

by Timothy D. Wilson

""Know thyself," a precept as old as Socrates, is still good advice. But is introspection the best path to self-knowledge? What are we trying to discover, anyway? In an eye-opening tour of the unconscious, as contemporary psychological science has redefined it, Timothy D. Wilson introduces us to a hidden mental world of judgments, feelings, and motives that introspection may never show us."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
This book sounded a lot more interesting when I ordered it. After struggling through the first couple of chapters, I decided that the subject was not quite what I needed. No slight on the book itself -- it just didn't suit my needs. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
There is a price to pay in self-knowledge. There is a great deal about ourselves that we cannot know directly, even with the most painstaking introspection.
  AntonioGallo | Jun 8, 2014 |
Interesting look at the ways we can misperceive ourselves—our beliefs, our traits, our dependence on external conditions. Though there’s nothing particularly new here if you read a lot of behavioral psych, Wilson looks at behavioral issues from the perspective of a theoretician interested in whether there really is an unconscious mind and what’s in it. He covers unconscious racial prejudice, mistakes about our own competence, mistakes about how we actually feel about someone else, and so on. In the end, he suggests, coherent narratives are good for us (though they do need some connection to reality), and we can often improve our own lives by acting like the people we want to be—faking friendliness, or dutifulness, or other positive behaviors until we make it, in part by changing our own unconscious self-images. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 24, 2011 |
Excellent book by a very influential psychologist. I'm finding this in the bibliography of more and more books that I like.
Malcolm Gladwell recommends this book highly. I recommend you read this book instead of Gladwell's Blink, since Gladwell seems to ignore much of what Wilson actually has to say. Better companion reads would be Daniel Gilbert, Dan Ariely, or Jonah Lehrer. ( )
  dsmccoy | May 24, 2009 |
154.2 W753 Mlk
  Spudbunny | Oct 5, 2007 |
It might seem that self-knowledge is a central topic on psychology.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,878,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible