dismiss

The Sun Is Also a Star (Yoon, Nicola) by…

The Sun Is Also a Star (Yoon, Nicola) (edition 2016)

by Nicola Yoon (Author)

"Natasha: I'm a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I'm definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won't be my story. Daniel: I've always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents' high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store--for both of us. The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?"--… (more)
Member:katelynreads
Title:The Sun Is Also a Star (Yoon, Nicola)
Authors:Nicola Yoon (Author)
Info:Delacorte Press (2016), Edition: Later Printing, 384 pages
Rating:*****

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

English (109)  German (1)  All languages (110)
I needed a palate cleaner after finishing "Leah and the Off-Beat." After reading this book and then watching "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" I maybe was in teen rom-com heaven all weekend. I also possibly wrapped things up by re-watching "Pretty in Pink." No I loathe "16 Candles" (come at me!) and "Pretty in Pink" always has me all in the feels.

"The Sun is Also A Star" starts off slow, but ends in a wonderful bang. Yoon does a fantastic job of weaving the two main leads stories (Natasha and Daniel) but also the many people who impact their choices, past, present, and future. I didn't think at first it would work, but does it work. Yoon will have you swooning over Natasha and Daniel and your heart will break when Yoon shows the practicalities behind two teens who are off to do separate things in their lives and be torn apart by a huge distance/culture.

"The Sun is Also A Star" has Natasha dealing with the fall out of her family being deported back to Jamaica. Natasha is desperate to stay in America and goes one more time to try to get anyone to help her. If no one does, she and her family have to fly out that night to Jamaica.

Daniel is preparing for the most important interview of his life. His family has it's hopes set on him becoming a doctor. After his older brother who always seemed to have everything going for him messes up, even more of his parents focus is on Daniel.

When Daniel and Natasha meet, Daniel has love at first sight, and Natasha has you are so acting weird, and I have things to do sight. I love that Natasha is more logical and scientific and doesn't believe in love. Not after her ex cheated on her and what she has seen her mother have to put up with while her father follows his dreams. Daniel does believe in love though due to seeing how his parents are with one another. He decides to trail Natasha for a few hours to get her to see that they could be something.

I loved that both of these characters are the children of immigrants. Daniel's family is Korean and Natasha's are Jamaican. They both feel differently about America though. For Natasha being in the states and getting to go to college is the most important thing. For Daniel, it's just something he is being forced to do.

Yoon is also able to weave a lot of history into this book. She explains African American women and their hair, and heck even why so many Koreans seem to own black hair stores in New York and other places.

The other characters we meet manage to sing in the short time they are with you. I wanted to read all of their stories. Yoon gives you enough to figure out the future of Daniel's ass of an older brother, his parents, Natasha's parents, and her brother. We also hear about some people they meet (Natasha's immigration attorney, a security guard in a building, a Korean women taking their food order, etc.)

The writing was really good and the flow improves after the first dozen pages.

The setting of New York is shown differently here. Not a sparkly, happy, we can be whoever we want here New York. Instead we get an indifferent one at times though you get to see why both characters love it.

The ending hit me hard. So very good. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
❤️ ( )
  katelynreads | Jun 30, 2020 |
I loved this book and ended up reading it with in two days. I love how the character thoughts are revealed through each chapter. The chapter title states which character we will learn more about. I also loved that the book came full circle from the first to chapters to the last. The ending was perfect and it could not have been made any better. ( )
  snickel63 | May 19, 2020 |
I hedged over whether to read this one after being somewhat underwhelmed by the author’s debut, but I’m so happy I gave this a shot.

Natasha’s final day to fight against her family’s deportation to Jamaica brightens significantly when fate or something like it, brings Daniel into her orbit. Daniel is also in the midst of his own life-changing day as he’s scheduled for a college interview to set him on the path to becoming a doctor, which is much more his parents dream than his.

Natasha and Daniel had great chemistry from the start, though I have to admit, due to the entire story taking place over the course of a day, it did take me a little time to catch up to speed with their relationship. Daniel is a romantic (which I enjoyed) so character-wise it did make sense how quickly he brought “love” into the conversation, and Natasha did temper that talk a bit with her scientific mindset and general skepticism (I loved that about her), still, conversations about falling in love and a make-out session when you’ve barely met, it just felt like things were developing super quickly. As a reader who tends to prefer slow burn romance, it did take me a while to buy into the idea that they had a genuine relationship, that it wasn’t just a surface infatuation, but I did eventually become invested in whether or not they’d end up together in the end.

My favorite thing about The Sun Is Also A Star, aside from how frankly it addresses race, is probably the use of characters beyond Daniel and Natasha. The scenes in the beauty supply shop were so fantastic and the saga of Natasha’s dad had depth despite only taking up a small portion of the book. I also loved the glimpses into the lives of characters in passing, those unexpected interludes often delivered an emotional impact, they were such a unique and welcome change from the standard contemporary romance structure, and what a payoff they led to with that epilogue. ( )
  SJGirl | May 18, 2020 |
It's not ELEANOR & PARK, but it's pretty close. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,865,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible