The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

The Sun Is Also a Star (edition 2019)

by Nicola Yoon (Author)

"Natasha: I'm a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I'm definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won't be my story. Daniel: I've always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents' high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store--for both of us. The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?"--… (more)
Member:HYSLibrary
Title:The Sun Is Also a Star
Authors:Nicola Yoon (Author)
Info:Ember (2019), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Work Information

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

English (134)  German (1)  All languages (135)
“There’s a Japanese phrase that I like: koi no yokan. It doesn’t mean love at first sight. It’s closer to love at second sight. It’s the feeling when you meet someone that you’re going to fall in love with them. Maybe you don’t love them right away, but it’s inevitable that you will.”

I didn’t expect to love this book as much as I did. I’ve always found stories about love at first sight (or in this case second sight) to be a bit cheesy and unrealistic so I started reading it a bit hesitantly and not expecting much. I was definitely more like Natasha in this story with her more realism inclined nature. After all how is it possible to fall for someone that you’ve just met? To my surprise it was played off quite nicely with the combination of Daniel’s earnest romanticism and Natasha’s blatant cynicism. The characters and their narratives were distinct and wonderful. And along with that I absolutely loved the thoughtful third person chapters that gave insight to other characters, how they impact others, and just the world and the universe. They may have actually been my favorite parts of the book if I’m being honest.
And then there was the ending.
I’ll admit that I was surprised by the ending. When I first began it I expected it to all work out perfectly and that Natasha would be able to stay in America. After all, a story featuring love at second sight? I figured that everything would work out in the end. Which it did. Just not the stereotypical perfect ending. When it at first seemed that the lawyer was going to be able to keep Natasha and her family in America I just kind of sighed with resignation because of course it was all going to work out. Except. It didn’t. I kept waiting for a last minute reprieve but no. She really did go back to Jamaica. And honestly that realism made me love this book so much more than the alternative would have. Because life isn’t perfect. It’s not a fairytale. But I can say the romantic in me was thrilled when they were finally reunited ten years later. It was a perfectly satisfactory ending. ( )
  Oblivionsdream | Jul 18, 2022 |
I liked this book well enough. I see why girls love it so much because it is romantic to think that despite the odds, you can fall in love in a day. The narration with multiple readers worked well for the audio. I love Bahnie Turpin, she does voices and accents so well. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
This book had some really great moments. I loved Natasha's character, loved her determination and doggedness in trying to change her fate. It was so heartbreaking to read her circumstances, especially in light of current events. I loved Daniel, and loved the way their meeting sparked changes that changed his course, and changed so many other courses.

Please excuse typos. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
SO GOOD ( )
  katielibrarian | Feb 8, 2022 |
Cute fun read about that packs a lot of diverse cultural experiences into what is essentially a book about one exciting day in a teenage love story. Definitely a page-turner but not necessarily something that's going to stay with you forever. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,123,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible