A Tale of Two Cities (Signet Classics) by…

A Tale of Two Cities (Signet Classics) (original 1859; edition 1997)

by Charles Dickens, Frederick Busch (Introduction)

22,79929453 (3.93)4 / 865
Member:ashley_rode
Title:A Tale of Two Cities (Signet Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Frederick Busch (Introduction)
Info:Signet Classics (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (1859)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (krizia_lazaro)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (MarcusBrutus)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    morryb: The French Revolutionary Mob becomes a character in each novel.
    The French Revolution: A History by Thomas Carlyle (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: A main source of inspiration for Dickens in writing A Tale of Two Cities.
    The Glass Blowers by Daphne du Maurier (buchstabendompteurin)

English (282)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (294)
I'm not much of a Dickens person, except for A Tale of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol but A Tale of Two Cities has always been a favorite of mine. I went through a "French Revolution" phase when I was in middle school. This was just after my "Little House on the Prairie" phase and before my "Jane Eyre" phase. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
A fascinating story about the parallels between Paris and London during the French revolution particularly with respect to class differences. An eminently quotable book. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 12, 2016 |
One of the classic novel we were asked to read during our junior days, I didn't appreciate it then but now having reread it I can say that Dickens indeed is a magnificent novelist I cant argue more with the mystery, suspense, humor and drama content of the book. I like Sidney Carton characters in this book as every event that happens in this book is somehow related to the plot. Great writing great classical literature that should not be missed. ( )
  Maddison18 | Apr 15, 2016 |
I read this in high school, and was enthralled from the first sentence. I just reread it by listening to it on audible, and was skeptical that I would be drawn in again -- especially at first because it took so long to set up all the characters and events. However, the magic happened, of course. One thing that stood out in the audio version was the Bible verse that played on Sidney's mind, which was so pivotal in his sacrificial act and was very important to the mental state of the British at that time.

sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
my son had to read it for grade 11 English class, so we read it together, then watched the 1935 film with Ronald Colman
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |

Woodcock, GeorgeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

This tale is inscribed to the Lord John Russell in remembrance of many public services and private kindnesses
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul.
This is the main work for A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
Two men look alike.
They love the same good woman.
They’re all in danger.
(marcusbrutus)

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille the aging Dr Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil lanes of London, they are all drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror and soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:50 -0400)

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille, the aging Doctor Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There the lives of two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil roads of London, they are drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror, and they soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine. This edition uses the text as it appeared in its first serial publication in 1859 to convey the full scope of Dickens's vision, and includes the original illustrations by H.K. Browne ('Phiz'). Richard Maxwell's introduction discusses the intricate interweaving of epic drama with personal tragedy.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439602, 0141031743, 0141325542, 0141196904, 0141199709

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,892,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible