dismiss

The Cthulhu Casebooks - Sherlock Holmes and…

The Cthulhu Casebooks - Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows (edition 2017)

by James Lovegrove (Author)

London, autumn 1880. Dr. John Watson has just returned from Afghanistan and meets Sherlock Holmes, who is investigating a series of deaths in the Shadwell district of London. The victims appearing to have starved to death over the course of several weeks, yet were reported alive and well mere days before. Creeping shadows inspire dread in any who stray too close. Meanwhile, a sinister drug lord is seeking to expand his criminal empire. But there are forces at work far more powerful than they could ever have imagined... forces that can be summoned from another dimension, if one is brave-- or mad-- enough to dare.... -- Exerpted from publisher's description.… (more)
Member:cwebb
Title:The Cthulhu Casebooks - Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows
Authors:James Lovegrove (Author)
Info:Titan Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 440 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:cthulhu, crime, fiction, sherlock holmes

Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows by James Lovegrove

English (4)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (6)
The general public is well familiar with the stories of the great detective Sherlock Holmes as written by his friend and partner in crime-fighting, Dr. John Watson. What they don’t know is that those stories are just a cover, an embellishment of certain insignificant events in order to hide something of far greater import–something the public should never know about. Because, while in these stories, Holmes is presented as an extremely logical and brilliant man who always a scientific reason for events, the truth is that he and Watson have encountered things that defy science. Horrible, ancient things that could spell the end of mankind if left unchecked. And together, they have pledged their logic and skill to defending mankind from behind the scenes. This is the true story of their initial meeting and subsequent first encounter with the occult, as told by Dr. Watson himself.

Retellings and spinoffs of Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories seem ubiquitous, and I’ve personally had mixed experiences with them. Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows belongs to a niche segment of these stories, ones that–like Gaiman’s “A Study in Emerald”–cross over with the Lovecraftian mythos. It’s an intriguing mixture, and I found it to be quite well executed in this book. It is couched as being a confession of sorts, written by Watson late in life and never meant to be published. As such, it evokes a tone quite similar to that of the original Doyle stories–I actually found this aspect of it to be fairly convincing. The author makes a lot of comparisons between what was written in said stories and “what actually happened,” which is intriguing to say the least. I found my vocabulary challenged repeatedly, which was refreshing. Unfortunately (although perhaps necessary to evoke the correct feel), the writing expresses period-typical ways of looking at certain people groups, as well as some terminology for such, that could be offensive. Regrettable, that. The actual story and the way the mythology is interwoven into the story is quite well done, a credible way for Holmes to get dragged into this mess. All in all, I found Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows to be a solid, enjoyable story that I would recommend. ( )
1 vote Honyasbookshelf | Jul 18, 2019 |
Had to finish the book prior to library reclaiming it, therefore accelerated my reading, but the last part of the book very addictive and I wanted to keep reading on. An excellent adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes story, it is very different and a supernatural theme compared to ordinary plain mysteries. Very appropriate for this time of year. I bought into this fully and really enjoyed them. Can't wait for book 2 and 3 when published. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2 ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Oct 28, 2017 |
More than a pastiche, more like a continuation novel with your favourite characters attempted to be reimagined. It started well, with good pacing and the right balance of overt knowledge of the characters and the Cthulhu mythos, with scepticism. However, as the novel progressed it got more and more Indiana Jones like. If you like your action fast and furious and don't mind the use of HP Lovecrafts mythos as a backdrop, you'll probably like this. This isn't a book for those who like a slow burn and the overt nature of the threat and descriptive passages make it very much a fast paced adventure story.
If imagining this on those lines, then this is th book for you. If you like your outer horrors, more subtle and more Lovecraftian and emphasising loneliness, then this ain't the book for you. ( )
1 vote aadyer | Mar 30, 2017 |
It's not Conan Doyle, but it's not bad. An unusual pastiche of both Conan Doyle and Lovecraft, it is a good combination and does incorporate the style of both. I am looking forward to the next two books promised for this series. I received this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program. ( )
  thosgpetri | Feb 4, 2017 |
This book and its sequels are dedicated to Miranda Jewess, who not only instigated them but edited the hell out of them - or should that be into them?
In the spring of 2014 I received an email out of the blue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible