Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

Holding Up the Universe (edition 2016)

by Jennifer Niven (Author)

New York Times Bestseller From the author of the New York Times bestseller All the Bright Places comes a heart-wrenching story about what it means to see someone--and love someone--for who they truly are. Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed "America's Fattest Teen." But no one's taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mom's death, she's been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby's ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for EVERY POSSIBILITY LIFE HAS TO OFFER. In that moment, I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything.  Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too. Yes, he's got swagger, but he's also mastered the impossible art of giving people what they want, of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a newly acquired secret: he can't recognize faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He's the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything in new and bad-ass ways, but he can't understand what's going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Be charming. Be hilarious. Don't get too close to anyone.  Until he meets Libby. When the two get tangled up in a cruel high school game--which lands them in group counseling and community service--Libby and Jack are both pissed, and then surprised. Because the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel. . . . Because sometimes when you meet someone, it changes the world, theirs and yours. Jennifer Niven delivers another poignant, exhilarating love story about finding that person who sees you for who you are--and seeing them right back. "Niven is adept at creating characters. . . . [Libby's] courage and body-positivity make for a joyful reading experience." --The New York Times "Holding Up the Universe . . . taps into the universal need to be understood. To be wanted. And that's what makes it such a remarkable read." --TeenVogue.com, "Why New Book Holding Up the Universe Is the Next The Fault in Our Stars" "Want a love story that will give you all the feels? . . . You'll seriously melt!" --Seventeen Magazine… (more)
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Holding Up the Universe
Authors:Jennifer Niven (Author)
Info:New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2016
Tags:Young adults

Work Information

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

English (49)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
"Holding up the Universe" has been on my to-read list for a long time. After receiving it as a gift in 2019, I'm glad that I was finally able to read this book. From start to finish, I enjoyed Libby and Jack's stories and how they were woven together. I could relate to their desires to be wanted and accepted, but also their realizations that they are different form everyone else. This book has made its way onto my favorites list and I can't wait to reread it sometime in the future. ( )
  flipper_ace | Sep 1, 2022 |
I liked this book not for the potential for romance between the two main characters, but for the way the author managed to get into Libby's head and explore all angles of her feelings about her weight, and also that she made Libby into both a vulnerable and a strong girl. I absolutely LOVED Libby.

And I also loved the fact that she explored Jack's face blindness, a disorder that I'd never heard of. The honesty and humility from which she wrote Jack's perspective was wonderful. I loved how real and flawed his family felt. And I loved the fact that even though he screwed up a lot, he was genuinely trying to be a better person. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
Fantastic ( )
  katielibrarian | Feb 8, 2022 |
Holding up the Universe is a great self-acceptance and real-life book. In this book, we have two main characters, Jack and Libby, both with their individual insecurities. Both are victims of a cruel bullying game and meet at group counseling. Through this book, we realize the reality of how everyone has their own insecurities, influenced by different aspect of our lives. Jack, who faces insecurities from a medical condition and Libby who faces self-love and body-acceptance issues. This is a great book to have in your class library or to even assign as a reading for your students if you see bullying or cruel behavior between classmates. ( )
  AlyssaBrowning | Nov 6, 2021 |
A YA Romance Novel. I really enjoyed it. As a big girl who probably has overeaten due to her mom's death - I identified with the main character. As a person who has (most likely) dyslexia - I empathized with Jack and his face blindness (which I did not know was a thing until I read/listened to Bone Gap. I love all the revelations in this book and internal monologues. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
I'm not a shitty person, but I'm about to do a shitty thing.

Jennifer Niven is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,599,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible