Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-by-Step Guide

by Fauzia Burke

If You Want People to Read Your Book, Writing It Is Only the Beginning There has truly never been a better time to be an author. For the first time, authors have direct access to the public via the Internet ?and can create a community eagerly awaiting their book. But where do new authors start? How do they sort through the dizzying range of online options? Where should they spend their time online and what should they be doing? Enter Fauzia Burke, a digital book marketing pioneer and friend of overwhelmed writers everywhere. She takes authors step-by-step through the process of identifying their unique personal brand, defining their audience, clarifying their aspirations and goals, and setting priorities. She offers advice on designing a successful website, building a mailing list of superfans, blogging, creating an engagement strategy for social media, and more. By following Burke's expert advice, authors can conquer the Internet and still get their next manuscript in on time.… (more)

I wish this book had been available five years ago, when I published my first novel. This is exactly what I was looking for – a blueprint or, maybe a better word, would be a guidebook for developing an online marketing program.

Fauzia Burke offers a step-by-step program for how an author can develop an effective online marketing program. Everyone is different and Burke’s approach is that every marketing program is going to be unique to the individual and the project. She provides the guidelines for an author to figure out the keys to successful marketing: building your brand, identifying your readers, figuring out and defining your goals.

LenJoy | Mar 14, 2021 |

Her book is easy to read but it takes a lot of work to implement what she proposes. There is no simple way, and I found that compelling and actually encouraging. ( )
  LenJoy | Mar 14, 2021 |
This is a much-needed primer for authors needing a kick-start on their marketing campaign.

A lot of it isn't news, but being reminded of everything that's necessary and to highlight a few steps we might be missing, it's fairly essential.

Big takeaways: Every reader, every kind of contact, needs to be earned by a real voice, a personalized message. It's unfortunate for the author who would rather spend his or her days actually writing and polishing the stories that they are so invested in, but it's still important. And kinda obvious.

No one likes spam or blather. Take your time with each person, build contacts, build relationships, make real friends. Then ask for help, especially after you've given it first.

Does this sound daunting for confirmed introverts like myself?

Oh. Yes!

I don't have any issue with treating anyone like they are real people. It's the amount of headspace required to build vast networking empire that makes me want to quail. I don't think I'm any good at any of that. I don't out and mix with people. At all.

If I'm talking with people about things that get me excited, and so much DOES get me excited, then I'm as right as rain. But ACTIVELY asking for help in the much-vaunted art of begging without actually seeming to beg?

It sounds so phony. It sounds so self-serving. It makes me squirm.

And yet. And yet. Writing books is an almost solitary endeavor... at least at first. Some of us are forced to accomplish miracles in a perfect vacuum.

But selling books? It requires word of mouth and therefore a constant building of relationships. We have to use our tools REGARDLESS of our strengths. :) Alas.

I guess it's time to start making friends and begging them to do the things we're unable to do! lol ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Burke advocates for authors taking an active role in promoting their books, regardless of whether they are working with a publisher or self-publishing. This book focuses on online techniques—blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc., for accomplishing this.

There is not a great deal of detail here, and a portion of the detail is now out-of-date, which is not surprising given the rapid rate of change in the online world. For example, the Klout influence ranking service shut down last year.

A good portion of the book, however, deals with motivation/inspiration, and the networking side of social networking. This material is timeless, and well-worth reading.

The book is supplemented with several visioning and planning worksheets which can also be downloaded from the author’s website. ( )
  Cicero | Jan 24, 2019 |
Fauzia Burke does a marvelous job of making a her knowledge practical in this one. If you need help with a book launch and want to take advantage of proven wisdom, look no further! ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,384,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible