Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs

Tales of the Peculiar (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Ransom Riggs (Author), Andrew Davidson (Illustrator)

Presents an illustrated edition of the fantastical book featured in the Miss Peregrine series that includes unusual fairy tales about wealthy cannibals, a fork-tongued princess, and the origins of the first ymbryne.
Member:kathyseguine
Title:Tales of the Peculiar
Authors:Ransom Riggs (Author)
Other authors:Andrew Davidson (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Books (2017), 208 pages

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs (2016)

English (20)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (22)
"The book you hold in your hands is meant for peculiar eyes only. If by chance you are not among the ranks of the anomalous, then please put this book back where you found it at once and forget this ever happened."

Luckily for me, I consider myself to be quite strange and carried on reading. This Grimm-inspired collection of fairytales is so inventive and enjoyable that I feel like I might have to go back and re-read [b:Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children|9460487|Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)|Ransom Riggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1472782916s/9460487.jpg|14345371] all over again. Not only has Riggs created several unique and heart-touching tales for this book (yeah, I almost cried a few times; SO WHAT), but a few of them are tied to actual historical events, making the Peculiar world seem all the more real. One of my favorite things in storytelling is when an author includes details from reality, allowing me to feel like maybe, just maaaaybe, the characters or places I'm reading about could actually exist. Or, in this case, that a group of human-hating pigeons caused The Great Fire of London in 1666. I mean, that's completely plausible, right? ( )
  libraccio | Jul 2, 2019 |
Mira que me gustó el primer libro de la saga de Miss Peregrine, pero éste libro de relatos lo supera. Si no le pongo las cinco estrellas es porque algun relato me ha gustado menos (El niño que separaba las aguas, las palomas de la catedral) pero aún así totalmente recomendable. Personalmente, los relatos de ‘La primera ymbrine’ ‘Cocobolo’ o ‘La encantadora de pesadillas’ me han parecido los mejores. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
Mijn volledige recensie is terug te vinden op:

Met recht een bijzonder boek te noemen. Het is uitgegeven als een hardcover en heeft een ontzettend fraaie cover, geweldig, zo mooi.
Vervolgens is het boek ontzettend mooi geïllustreerd, werkelijk een genot voor het oog.
Ransom Riggs heeft een kunstwerk neergezet.
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs is a tale within a tale. Tales of the Peculiar is a book read by one of the characters to help find clues in the characters' journey.

I thought this was a great addition to the series. Tales of the Peculiar, read by one of the characters, Millard Nullings, is a book of old tales considered history of the peculiar recorded over years. ( )
  feeroberts64 | Oct 26, 2018 |
The newest addition in the wonderful universe of the Peculiar Children and their surroundings, created by Ransom Riggs, is every bit as interesting and special as Miss Peregrine's Trilogy. No. It's even better. You won't find our familiar Peculiars in this collection, what we see is their ancestors' struggle to cope with their talents and with the cruel ways society used to ostracize them. Our guide back in time is our beloved Millard...

''The Splendid Cannibals'': Cannibals are creepy and nightmarish. Sometimes ''ordinary'' humans are even worse.

''The Fork-Tongued Princess'': One of my favourite stories in the collection. Here, we have a princess with a special kind of beauty, unwilling to let men dictate her life. It reminded me of a well-known Russian fairy tale.

''The First Ymbryne'': A beautiful story about the First Ymbryne that created the very first timeloop. Set in Medieval England.

''The Woman Who Befriended Ghosts'': Such a funny, bittersweet story this one! Many times the substantial and insubstantial world can be equally harsh and frustrating.

''Cocobolo'': Fascinating Peculiars in ancient China, during the reign of Kublai Khan.

''The Pigeons of Saint Paul's'': I bow down to the genius that is Ransom Riggs in this story. Also, mental note: Raise head and say ''hello'' to the feathery friends next time I visit Saint Paul's Cathedral.

''The Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares'': A dark, ominous story. Is every gift - peculiar or not- a blessing or a curse? A coin of two faces? This is my favourite story in the collection.

''The Locust'': It doesn't matter how kind you are. People will always be cruel enough to keep on hurting those who are tender and gentle. People will always view kindness as weakness...

''The Boy Who Could Hold Back The Sea'': An atmospheric tale of the sea, coming from Ireland.

''The Tale of Cuthbert'': A tale of old, mixing echoes of Oscar Wilde and the myth of the giants made of stone from Yorkshire.

It's not necessary to have read the Trilogy of the Peculiar Children to enjoy this collection. I'm sure the tales are interesting enough to lure you all by themselves. Still, those who are already familiar with the World of the Peculiars will appreciate them even more. This magnificent universe is a never-ending source of great stories and beautiful themes. Enjoy!
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |

Riggs, Ransomprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Callow, SimonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto
Terence
To Alma LeFay Peregrine, who taught me to love tales
--MN
Dear Reader:
The book you hold in your hands is meant for peculiar eyes only.
Foreword: If you are of the peculiar persuasion - and if you've read this far, I sincerely hope that you are - then this is a book that likely needs no introduction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,554,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible