The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A…

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living… (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Mark Manson (Author)

"In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people. For decades, we've been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let's be honest, shit is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Mason doesn't sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is--a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let's-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up. Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited--"not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek. There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives"--… (more)
Member:memocan
Title:The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Authors:Mark Manson (Author)
Info:Harper (2016), Edition: 2nd Edition, 224 pages
Tags:to-read

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson (Author) (2016)

Recently added byprivate library, sbarrios93, nico_naho, Joao_Tavora, AmyVandenHoek, mkhrrs89, sprinhm, TedPicasso
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (83)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
While the title is provocative and the f-word is used liberally throughout the book, the author actually has some pretty sound advice. His perspective is that you need to decide what you really give a f--- about and pursue that as your core value which in turn will lead to happiness. Caveat: that cannot be some metric of comparison outside yourself, but must be something that is "true, immediate and important."(8) and can be achieved internally like creativity, honesty, integrity and is process-oriented, rather than outcome-based. "This book will not teach you how to gain or achieve, but rather how to lose and let go." (20) A little counter-intuitive, the advice here promotes not trying, realizing you are not "special," facing and embracing suffering (rather than avoiding) and allowing yourself to be wrong or to fail. Not your average recipe for success, but his logic in explaining it is on the mark. If these ideas weren't so constantly crassly expressed, I'd give this book to my teenage sons for some perspective. Maybe when they head to college.... ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
1. Not giving a fuck does not mean being indifferent, it means being comfortable with being different. Its about moving away from the from the shit that holds you down in judgemental, and realizing no matter what you do or think or say....there will always be adversity.

2.To not give a fuck about adversity, you must first give a fuck about something more than division and adversity.

3. The most important one: whether you realize it or not you are always choosing what to give a fuck about.

I loved the premise and lessons in this book, so logical, yet so deep. This book reminds me that most will be unwilling to look beyond themselves....herd mentality is making a come back.....
If you want to change your life, you must evaluate how you measure success and avoid the ones who want to judge you based on their ideals.
Mark Manson uses Dave Mustain, Charles Bukowski and Pete Best as examples, as well as many others.

A definite book to not miss. It will make you pause and think about how you think and the energy you want to surround yourself with in your life. ( )
  over.the.edge | Oct 13, 2020 |
I agreed with most everything, not much new for me, but a new perspective on a few things. Would have been more useful in my 20s. ( )
  helenar238 | Oct 8, 2020 |
Good stuff, but so much ableism. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Oct 6, 2020 |
Lots of great a-ha moments in here - as with all self-help type books, you take the things that work for you and ignore the rest. Turns out there's lots in here that I can apply to my life these days and it's already been beneficial in assisting me navigate through some current issues. I would definitely recommend this to anyone dealing with significant anxiety in their lives like I do. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |

Manson, MarkAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, a generation-defining self-help guide, written by a blogger who is read by more than 2 million people each month, helps readers figure out the things that they should care about to lead contented, grounded lives." - NoveList Plus

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,668,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible