Lady Claire Is All That

by Maya Rodale

In the third installment of Maya Rodale's captivating, witty series, a marquess finds his fair lady--but must figure out how to keep her HER BRAINS... Claire Cavendish is in search of a duke, but not for the usual reasons. The man she seeks is a mathematician; the man she unwittingly finds is Lord Fox: dynamic, athletic, and as bored by the equations Claire adores as she is by the social whirl upon which he thrives. As attractive as Fox is, he's of no use to Claire . . . or is he? PLUS  HIS BRAWN . . . Fox's male pride has been bruised ever since his fiancée jilted him. One way to recover: win a bet that he can transform Lady Claire, Society's roughest diamond, into its most prized jewel. But Claire has other ideas--shockingly steamy ones . . . EQUALS A STUDY IN SEDUCTION . . . By Claire's calculations, Fox is the perfect man to satisfy her sensual curiosity. In Fox's estimation, Claire is the perfect woman to prove his mastery of the ton. But the one thing neither of them counted on is love . . .… (more)

So we are back with Maya Rodale's Cavendishes series and I was excited to get stuck in.

So this book centers around Lady Claire Canvendish; who is the oldest and the bluestocking of the family; but her highly intelligent mind and Math talk bores the men of her acquaintances to tears. But Lady Claire has plans, she wants to meet the Duke of Ashbrooke, in order to talk about his new invention, but you can't just walk up to someone and talk to them about that, not as a women anyway. The only way to be able to talk to the Duke, is to make friends with Lord Fox, which is easier side than done, if she hadn't insulted him the first time they had met!

Maximilian DeVere, Lord Fox; was a handsome man, and a man that was used to getting his own way, but when his fiancée ran off with another man, it left him is a rather embarrassing predicament. But like all idiot men, Fox enters in to a wager...his goal is to help bumbling, bluestocking, and wallflower, Lady Claire Canvendish in to a sparking diamond of the first water.

But even though Claire and Fox entered into this unusual arrangement, in order to fulfill their own needs; it turns into much more for both of them...even when it seems someone who is supposed to be a friend is plotting against them, their romance blooms, but when Fox's ex fiancé returns, where do that leave them.

I have to say, that Maya Royale, has truly knocked it out of the park with this book. I found her plot charming and unique, which I enjoy it immensely. Her writing is superb, and I have to say that I have really begun to enjoy her writing style A LOT!

But, oh the characters! They are superb!! Fox is the cocky aristocrat, who relies on his charm a little too much, but quickly realizes just how much of a gem Lady Claire is. Oh and Lady Claire! Oh my! She is my favorite Canvendish so far! I love her intelligence and her bluntness! She is so logical and clever! And I can totally relate to her character!

Over all, Lady Claire Is All That is just an enjoyable and heartwarming read, that once I started it it couldn't put if down!

I give Lady Claire Is All That 5 stars! ( )
  Cara_Ross | Dec 2, 2018 |
Link to full review below! So freaking good!!!! A bit Pygmalion/She's all That with an allusion to Mean Girls in there as well! See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
"Lady Claire Is All That" is an entertaining read. Considerably better than #2 in the series ("Chasing Lady Amelia," which was awful), this delightful third book in Maya Rodale's Cavendish series has a heroine with intelligence for which she is blessedly unapologetic.

Claire is the eldest of the three Cavendish sisters, a family newly arrived in England from the United States to fulfill their brother James's inheritance of a dukedom. A math whiz, Claire has no interest in the activities of high society, preferring to ensconce herself among her math papers and projects, not caring a whim for being labeled a bluestocking. She determinedly pushes away every potential suitor by deliberately engaging them all in conversations about math and boring them so much that they leave her alone.

Lord Fox is a well-known rogue, able to make ladies swoon from his mere presence. However, his male pride has been injured by his fiancee's jilting, and he accepts an ill-considered bet from his friend Mowbray that he can turn Lady Claire into the darling of the haute ton in a fortnight.

I really enjoyed this story, because I love stories with strong women. The fact that Claire is not at all embarrassed or ashamed of her own intelligence is a huge plus. This book was well-written, with interesting plot elements, likable characters, and a red-hot romance. I especially liked that Rodale tied in this book with a character from her Wallflower series.

So why didn't I give this book 5 stars? Because I wasn't entirely happy with Lord Fox's character. He seemed too superficial. Rodale tries to give him more depth, but it almost feels as if she is reaching to give Fox qualities that would attract a woman as intelligent and independent as Claire. I'm not entirely convinced that in real life a woman like Claire would be happy with a man like Fox, who cannot challenge her intellectually. Nonetheless, the chemistry between Claire and Fox is solid and makes for a good romance novel. ( )
  niaomiya | Mar 28, 2017 |
Instantly, this book was a hit with me. I just absolutely fell in love with Claire. The way that she was not intrigued by parties or status. It made for entertaining reading watching Claire brush off Lord Fox's advances. Sometimes it was intentional and other times Claire was clueless. Yet, Claire was endearing and brilliant. This is what I loved the most about her. She was not afraid to stand up for herself and make her presence felt in a male dominant world.

Lord Fox did not carry an "air" about him. Thus, this made him endearing as well. In addition, he let Claire be herself. In regards, to the romance between these two; it was good. The author did not have them kissing right away, so when they finally shared their first kiss, it felt natural and there were sparks. After that it got steamy. The witty banter that Lord Fox and Claire shared made me smile and even laugh. This book is all that and more! ( )
  Cherylk | Dec 11, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,047,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible