For You Are a Kenyan Child by Kelly Cunnane

For You Are a Kenyan Child (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Kelly Cunnane (Author), Ana Juan (Illustrator)

3121966,292 (4.16)None
From rooster crow to bedtime, a Kenyan boy plays and visits neighbors all through his village, even though he is supposed to be watching his grandfather's cows.
Member:kbieber
Title:For You Are a Kenyan Child
Authors:Kelly Cunnane (Author)
Other authors:Ana Juan (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2006), 40 pages
Tags:Kenya, Africa, multicultural

Work Information

For You Are a Kenyan Child by Kelly Cunnane (2006)

It is a good book to show children how other children live in another country and the responsibilities they have.
  mackenziemitchell | Nov 21, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book and the culutural aspects of it. I think this is a great book to share with children to learn about the different cultures that we have. This book also provides language from the culture. As well with great illustrations that connect the story. ( )
  mgcampb1 | Nov 27, 2018 |
This book takes place in Kenya, Africa. It is a morning to night book, and basically just goes through a day in the life of a Kenyan child. The book is diverse in culture, as it takes place in a village in Kenya. This book shows the different life of a child from another country. The illustrations are bright, bold, and beautiful. They draw the reader's attention and show the Kenyan culture with these aspects. I believe the major theme of the book is diversity in life. ( )
  kgautier | Oct 4, 2018 |
This book shows us the differences and similarities between kids in America and Africa. It is a great book to read with kids to introduce them to a different culture.
  TBatty | Mar 1, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book for a number of reasons. First off, it takes you through a day in the life of a Kenyan child. Its vivid imagery engages the reader and makes you feel as though you were actually there. For example, the first sentence of the book says, “Roosters crow, and you wake one morning in the green hills of Africa, sun lemon bright over eucalyptus trees full of doves.” Along with this vivid imagery are colorful pictures that encapsulate the words that describe them. It goes into detail about what a typical Kenyan boy would do like chasing monkeys and tending after his grandfather’s cows. This book shows what it is like to take part in another culture that is different than our own. The book also includes Kenyan words and phrases such as “Hodi” and “Una taka kucheza?” which is a different and knowledgeable feature to include in a book. The main character in the book, a young Kenyan boy, was given the task to look after his grandfather’s cows but loses sight of them when he went to goof off with his friends. This also teaches children of responsibility and trust and how important they are. They are things we as people should not take for granted and take very seriously. Overall, it is a very informative book that teaches very pertinent information in everyday life and one I thoroughly enjoyed reading. ( )
  ChristySchultz | Mar 6, 2017 |
[An] entrancing tour of a Kenyan village on a typical day.

Kelly Cunnaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,596,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible