Avatar: The Last Airbender--Smoke and Shadow…

Avatar: The Last Airbender--Smoke and Shadow Omnibus (edition 2021)

by Gene Luen Yang (Author)

Series: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow (Omnibus), Avatar: The Last Airbender (Smoke and Shadow [Omnibus])

The Fire Nation is threatened by a prophecy told by the Kemurikage, mysterious figures thought only to exist in legend: remove Zuko from the throne, or the country will perish! Avatar Aang and his friends escort Zuko and his family back to the capital, completely unaware of the looming threat growing in the city. Unrest is brewing as the New Ozai Society prepares to make its move against the crown, and children begin to go missing from their homes under mysterious circumstances. Revisit the adventure of Avatar: The Last Airbender--Smoke and Shadow with this all-new omnibus edition, collecting all three original parts for the first time in one digital book! Collects Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow parts 1-3.… (more)
Member:TwirlyWrites
Title:Avatar: The Last Airbender--Smoke and Shadow Omnibus
Authors:Gene Luen Yang (Author)
Info:Dark Horse Books (2021), 232 pages

Work Information

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow by Gene Luen Yang

I really enjoyed this section in this story. I really liked how each of the three volumnes focused on different of the characters. It does have a pretty big cast of characters. I also again like how these three vols did focus on another myth in the world, but also was a direct sequel to the search. I wish we saw the whole gange together at one point but a nice arc! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
The previous three were better.
  NenadN | Sep 6, 2019 |
Carrying on the excitement and wonder of this wonderful cartoon and its cast in comic book form is no easy task, but this volume does it well, progressing the story and its characters further like the best episodes. ( )
  Birdo82 | Feb 14, 2018 |
The Avatar television series always had the most emotional heft when dealing with Prince Zuko and his family, and thus far, the same seem to be true of the comic books, as the two Zuko-focused ones, The Search and Smoke and Shadow, have felt more substantive than the two Aang-focused ones, The Promise and The Rift. Smoke and Shadow shows what Zuko was doing during The Rift, as Zuko contends with factions in the Fire Nation dissatisfied with his leadership, factions led by Zuko's girlfriend's Mai's father. Yang and Gurihiru invent a new faction of the Fire Nation, the mysterious Kemurikage, who may or may not be spirits. There's also some surprisingly touching stuff about Zuko's long-lost mom trying to reintegrate into the life she lost and the nation she left behind even as her own daughter pulls away from her.

It's fun at the same time that it's serious: Mai has a new boyfriend, and that causes a lot of friction and a lot of jokes; it's great to see Mai uncharacteristically call him "babe," and even better to see Aang irritated by it. (I do hope that what happens with the new boyfriend at the end is just misdirection, because it seems like a misstep if not.) Plus, Uncle Iroh gets all the best jokes, including one about how Zuko has an angsty wave. There's also a good part-two cliffhanger. Overall, this is just a really solid, well-done Avatar adventure, recapturing what made the television series so enjoyable, the best of the comics so far other than The Search. I'm definitely looking forward to North and South.
  Stevil2001 | Dec 15, 2017 |

Gene Luen Yangprimary authorall editionscalculated
GurihiruIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
DiMartino, Michael DanteCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Konietzko, BryanCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,950,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible