The Bertie Project - 44 Scotland Street (11)…

The Bertie Project - 44 Scotland Street (11) (edition 2012)

by Alexander McCall Smith (Author)

Member:Janzz
Title:The Bertie Project - 44 Scotland Street (11)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith (Author)
Info:Polygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited (2012)
Collections:Europe, Fiction, Humour, Relationships/Families, Study A - top, Your library

The Bertie Project by Alexander McCall Smith

This series is great fun. I look forward to the next one to see what happens with Stuart and Irene and of course dear Bertie. I was startled at the ending. I expected the story to keep going. I was delighted to learn a new word, defenestration. And it was used often enough to actually be fully set in my vocabulary! ( )
  njcur | Apr 8, 2019 |
Love takes many forms in this latest volume of the Scotland Street novels. A boy loves his mother, even though she’s driving him crazy. A mother loves her son, even though she can’t stand his wife. And a husband and father loves… his son, his wife, his lover, his freedom… though he can’t have them all. Very real human tragedies could ensue on these pages, but instead an equally human generosity allows wounded lives to play out against a background of hard choices, and brings them to places that feel, almost surprisingly, like home.

Meanwhile other residents of Scotland Street interject their own struggles, with the man who loves himself falling for, just maybe, the woman he deserves, while the woman who loves her baby triplets really needs an au pair, and art plays its part. It’s all told in easily read chapters, skipping from scene to scene, with simple repetition making each chapter stand alone—as indeed these must since (I’ve heard) the book is originally serialized in a newspaper.

It’s all a tangle of intriguing tales that never quite get tangled and are always told with wit and understanding, leaving me eager to read on.

Disclosure: I’m hooked on the series, so of course I love this book. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jul 3, 2018 |
Well, we were well and truly led down the garden path with that one, though we should have seen it coming ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 13, 2018 |
I am losing interest in the Scotland Street series. Too many digressions, not enough about the characters. Where was Pat in this novel? ( )
  Grier | Mar 29, 2018 |
Why can’t Bertie’s mother be kidnapped again? McCall Smith has created some of my most favorite characters and he’s definitely created the villain I most love to hate. It’s best to read the 44 Scotland Road series from the beginning, so you have an understanding of all the characters. I am looking forward to the next book in the series, hoping that Bertie’s father can learn to stand up for himself. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 6, 2017 |

McCall Smith, Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rintoul, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Dr Herbert Gold,
a wise and kind doctor
On any Friday evening, the Cumberland Bar, just round the corner from Drummond Place and Scotland Street, might be expected to be busy, the meeting place of assorted mercantile tribes, of office workers from further down the hill, of young accountants, of estate agents and lawyers, and, conspicuous by their less formal attire, of some of the more bohemian, the more artistic inhabitants of this eastern corner of Edinburgh's Georgian New Town.

"Bertie's mother Irene returns from the Middle East to discover that, in her absence, her son has been exposed to the worst of evils--television shows, ice cream parlors, and even unsanctioned art at the National Portrait Gallery. Her wrath descends on Bertie's long-suffering father, Stuart. But Stuart has found a reason to spend more time outside of the house and seems to have a new spring in his step. What does this mean for the residents of 44 Scotland Street?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible