Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur Vol. 1: BFF by…

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur Vol. 1: BFF (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Amy Reeder (Author), Natacha Bustos (Illustrator)

2091979,839 (3.57)4
Member:ladycato
Title:Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur Vol. 1: BFF
Authors:Amy Reeder (Author)
Other authors:Natacha Bustos (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2016), 136 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read in 2018, graphic novel

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF by Amy Reeder (Author) (2016)

Really fun. I loved Devil Dinosaur - he was adorable and reminded me of a cat. The heroine was spunky and headstrong. Her scene with the Hulk did leave a lot to desire - the only defense for that scene I can think of is that it was entirely written from Lunella's perspective: there's an adult (Hulk) telling her not to do something for her own protection, so in her mind, he's a big meanie jerk who just doesn't get her. It's like a caricature of the ignorant adult. But, if that's not the case, then yeah, Hulk is just a big meanie jerk.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
This book is not funny or charming enough to get away with not having the plot or characters' actions make any sort of sense. Squirrel Girl could get away with hiding a dinosaur in a school basement, Moon Girl cannot. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This was a very entertaining first issue in the on-going series [b: Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur|27415869|Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1 BFF|Amy Reeder|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1463857837s/27415869.jpg|47464941]. I was intrigued by this, naturally, as it involves a giant mutant tyrannosaurus type dinosaur transported into modern day New York City. The protagonist, a 9 year old genius, is also too entertaining to give it a pass. What could possibly go wrong? Well, nothing huge in my estimation. This was a solid enough first book, and while it didn't necessarily wow me it did entertain me enough to want to give the rest of the series a look as my library carries them.

Moon Girl, Lunella Lafayette, is living in fear of her latent Inhuman gene. A mysterious cloud is overtaking the world bit by bit and causing the Inhuman gene to activate in those who carry it, forcing a transformation that at times is beneficial, but also could be utterly devastating to the person in question. Super powers can be great, but what if you're transformed into something physically monstrous? What if your power causes your personality or core self to change? Big questions, though sadly ones not delved into too deeply in the comic itself thus far. Here's hoping Volume 2 deals a bit more with that... As it is, it's easy to put your own fears into Lunella's and understand the basics of where she's coming from. The writing could be better, but I enjoy the artwork and know this book is meant for a younger audience so, can't complain.

All in all this is a cool read and I'm looking forward to reading more of it. It's fun, if not the most clever or challenging comic, and solidly rests as an OK and entertaining quick read. I'm looking forward to seeing where everything heads, and am quite happy to be delving into more modern comic books. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This book slowly introduces Lunella and how she gets acquainted with Devil Dinosaur. Seriously, this is why I read compilation books because if read single issues with those "cliffhangers," I'd tear them in rage. Lunella is an interesting smart kid character, a bit snooty, but with a lot of internal conflict. Devil Dinosaur travels into the present with a group of cavemen, an historical inaccuracy I'll overlook, if only because the cavemen then become a street gang known as the Killer-Folk. Much like other comics I've read recently (Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl), a famed Marvel Comics hero makes a cameo appearance to advise Lunella. In this case it's Hulk, who apparently can speak in full sentences in this universe. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Jun 11, 2018 |
Loved this graphic novel! Lunella and Devil Dino kick ass. :) ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |

Reeder, AmyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bustos, NatachaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Montclare, BrandonAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonvillain, TamraColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanham, TravisLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reeder, AmyCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Humanity is leaving its childhood and moving into its adolescence as its powers infuse into a realm hitherto beyond our reach. - Dr. Gregory Stock
Earth to Lunella...

"Lunella Lafayette is an inhuman preteen genius who wants to change the world! THAT JOB would be a lot easier if she wasn't living in mortal fear of her latent inhuman gene. There's no telling what she'll turn into -- but Luna's got a plan. All she needs is an Omni-Wave Projector. Easy, right? That is, until a red-scaled beast is teleported from the prehistoric past to a far-flung future we call ... today! Together they're the most Marvelous Team-Up of all -- the Inhuman Moon Girl and time-tossed Devil Dinosaur! But will they be BFFs forever, or just until DD's dinner time? And Lunella soon learns that there are other problems with having a titanic T. Rex as a pet in the modern-day Marvel Universe. School, for one. Monster hunters are another -- especially when they're the Totally Awesome Hulk! Then there's the fact that everyone's favorite dino didn't journey through time alone. Beware the prehistoric savages known as the Killer-Folk -- New York City's deadliest tourists! Can Lunella handle all this turmoil ... and keep herself from transforming into an inhuman monster?, "--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible