The Arrival by Shaun Tan

The Arrival (2006)

by Shaun Tan

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (295)  French (5)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (307)
I don't know how I missed this when it came out - maybe I dismissed it as just a graphic novel. There is no "just" about it. This is an impressive work of art, delivering its story of the immigrant experience with imagination and beauty. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is a beautiful book that examines, wordlessly, the experience of an immigrant in a new land. Tan captures the disorientation immigrants may feel toward their new surroundings. It depicts the journey of one man who seems both accepted and rejected by his new country. This book tells the story of a man who leaves his home and family and comes to start a new life for them all in an alien culture. Because The Arrival is a graphic novel that takes as it's setting an imaginary land with a unique language, the reader is able to enter the world as the protagonist does, completely at the mercy of the world he's trying to call home. The fine and suggestive illustrations allow the reader to experience the confusion, isolation, terror and wonder of this journey. This book helped me to appreciate the struggles my own ancestors, and everyone else in America's ancestors, must have faced in their passage of immigration. ( )
  Erneka | Aug 29, 2018 |
In Shaun Tan's graphic novel "The Arrival", he illustrates the process of immigrating to a new country and learning to develop a new culture. When I first read the book, I found myself able to grasp the basic concept, but after reviewing the book with a group, we were able to draw more conclusions together. The book is divided into chapters and in each one, the man character becomes more immersed in his new culture and is creating a better life for his family. Eventually, his family is able to move to their new home where he teaches them their new way of life. The story ends on an inspiring note as the daughter of the main character is now showing new comers the customs of their new home. It is really an inspiring story that shows perseverance, a desire to learn and respect for a new culture are great tools when adapting to a new life. ( )
  MargaretStrahan | Aug 28, 2018 |
This book totally surprised me when I found out about it. I had no idea that there were books for adults without words and only pictures. I didn't think I would understand this book and once I read it in class, I loved it. What's so great about it is that you can interpret it in your own way and not be wrong. The story gets weird but it is still a relatable text. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  atassin | Aug 28, 2018 |
I feel like I could spend hours with this book. In this graphic novel, Shaun Tan solely uses illustrations to convey an immigrant's experience. Through the use of unfamiliar symbols, creatures, and structures, the reader is able to understand and empathize with the protagonist as he navigates this strange new land. I enjoyed reading this with a partner as it really forced me to slow down and analyze and consider each illustration from start to finish. ( )
  HSunseri | Aug 25, 2018 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

For my parents

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,942,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible