The Arrival by Shaun Tan

The Arrival (2006)

by Shaun Tan

Recently added byprivate library, igorken, baroquebird, Korinnas, royalhigh, Lidbud, hatingongodot, eldang
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (298)  French (5)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (310)
I never took graphic novels seriously enough, until a friend gave me this book for my birthday. With no text at all, it tells the universal immigrant story more beautifully than I had ever experienced before. Few books have warmed my heart like this one. ( )
  eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |
This wordless story has amazingly lovely illustrations with lots of delightful oddities. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I tried "reading" this book with no words twice while in a rush and it only seemed strange. This evening, in the quiet, with the light fading and the weekend as a comfortable place for all the "to-dos" I settled into a chair to look at this story. Trying to rush it would be like rushing a movie or a symphony. It plays at its own pace. I loved it.
Reading "The Arrival" (especially so soon after reading a science fiction "first contact" novel) helped me feel again how strange it is to be a stranger. There is the wonderful kindness, the horror of the suffering, the confusion and frustration, the stakes! oh, the stakes, and the wonder of it all.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
With no words, none are needed, the joys and sorrows are easily felt. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 16, 2019 |
I've never read a graphic novel, and I'm thrilled to have read this one first.

Shaun Tan's 'The Arrival' is completely graphic, wordless. It is the story of a young father whom leaves his wife and daughter to take a long journey to a wholly different country so that he can support them. The imagery is rich and tender, truly amazing. To emphasize the entirely confusing world that immigrants enter, the graphics are completely foreign, unintelligible, overwhelming. It is easy to identify with the immigrant's predicament, and to root for him to find a place, friends, a home.

I cannot recommend this work of art highly enough.

I would especially hope that those who reduce immigration politics to simplistic chatter, would read this novel and put themselves into the main character's hat and shoes, and think carefully about what they might do if faced with a similar choice. ( )
1 vote patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

For my parents

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,392,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible