When I Was Old by Georges Simenon

by Georges Simenon

63None266,995 (3.42)18

No reviews
Preface

In 1960, 1961, and 1962, for personal reasons, or for reasons I don’t know myself, I began feeling old, and I began keeping notebooks.
Saturday, 25 June 1960

It’s been four days – from the twenty-first – since I finished a novel, my hundred-eightieth-and-some, which I’d wanted to be easy.

Simenon's notebooks, from age 57 when experiencing some self-assessment, comprise a remarkable document. Using psychology to mine the depths, he attempts to present himself to his public. An essentially private documentary intended to forestall posthumous tampering with the truth of himself. The notes are day by day records showing moods of despair and some satisfaction. Then there are fascinating assessments of well known visitors, Henry Miller, Charles Chaplin, others he gives you to guess who they might have been. The closeness of family is poignant with tension as his wife's health disintegrates.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible