Troubled Water (Lark Chadwick Mystery) by…

Troubled Water (Lark Chadwick Mystery) by John Dedakis (2014-02-15) (edition 1807)

by John Dedakis (Author)

117,858,818 (5)None
Member:travelvic
Title:Troubled Water (Lark Chadwick Mystery) by John Dedakis (2014-02-15)
Authors:John Dedakis (Author)
Info:Strategic Media Books (1807)
Rating:*****

Work Information

Troubled Water (Lark Chadwick Mystery) by John Dedakis (2014-02-15) by John Dedakis

Recently added bytravelvic

No tags

Ok, I admit it – when I read the first line of the ‘Acknowledgements’ section in author John DeDakis’ latest novel, “Troubled Water”, I was an immediate doubter. He begins the section by saying, “I’m frequently asked how it is that I’m able to write as a woman.” Seriously, how can you read that line and not become challenged to find the book’s shortcomings? As an avid reader and as a woman, I took that challenge with all seriousness and fervor.

It didn’t take long for me to completely forget that first line’s challenge and get swept away in the plot’s strong undertow. “Troubled Water” is an addictive page turner, plain and simple. The protagonist’s personality, character, and feminine nature area never in question throughout the duration of the book – she’s believable, relatable, and entertaining to follow. The various red herrings that swim in and out of “Troubled Water” keep the reader guessing…and then guessing again and again. Each potential antagonist hooks the reader and reels them in but in the end, you will be blown out of the - you guessed it - water.

DeDakis is not only able to write convincingly as a woman, but he writes in such a way that makes the reader completely forget he’s a man. I’m usually mildly irritated when a man presumes to understand the way a woman thinks but in DeDakis’ case, he actually gets it and he conveys that brilliantly in his writing style. In addition to this ability, he keeps his storyline moving with plenty of action and suspense to push the reader into the addictive ‘one more page’ syndrome. Whether DeDakis writes about a real place in Georgia or he is making his setting up as the story moves along, I don’t know. But it’s believable based on the ample detail provided for in the pages. Even the heat is palpable as you read.

“Troubled Water” is a rush of a read and will be enjoyed by mystery/thriller genre fans as well as those who enjoy newsroom fiction. DeDakis’ whirlpool of multiple murders, backstabbing colleagues, mysterious new acquaintances, a hot and humid setting, and a young go-getter with a knack for finding herself at the wrong place at the right time will have you reading well past bedtime. ( )
  travelvic | May 24, 2016 |

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,510,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible