The Chalk Pit (9) (Ruth Galloway Mysteries)…

The Chalk Pit (9) (Ruth Galloway Mysteries) (edition 2018)

by Elly Griffiths (Author)

Series: Ruth Galloway (9)

'My favourite current crime series . . . a pleasure from start to finish' Val McDermid Boiled human bones have been found in Norwich's web of underground tunnels. When forensic archaeologist Dr Ruth Galloway discovers the bones aren't as old as originally thought, it's time for DCI Nelson to launch a murder inquiry. What was initially just a medieval curiosity has taken a much more sinister nature... Meanwhile, DS Judy Johnson is investigating the disappearance of a local rough sleeper. The only trace of her is the rumour that she's gone 'underground'. This might be a figure of speech, but with the discovery of the bones and the stories both Ruth and the police have heard of a vast community of rough sleepers living in the old chalk-mining tunnels under Norwich, the clues point in only one direction. Local academic Martin Kellerman knows all about the tunnels and their history - but can his assertions of cannibalism and ritual killing possibly be true? As the weather gets hotter, tensions rise. A local woman goes missing and the police are under attack. Ruth and Nelson must unravel the dark secrets of The Underground and discover just what gruesome secrets lurk at its heart - before it claims another victim. DON'T MISS THE TENTH GRIPPING DR RUTH GALLOWAY MYSTERY: THE DARK ANGEL, NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER IN PRINT AND EBOOK… (more)
Member:losethecovid
Title:The Chalk Pit (9) (Ruth Galloway Mysteries)
Authors:Elly Griffiths (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

Work Information

The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths

I started this series as I know King's Lynn pretty well. However in this book it turns out to be a disadvantage. Nelson and the Serious Crime squad we follow in these books are based in King's Lynn, however they spend an awful lot of time in this book in Norwich. Which is a city, as opposed to a town, and likely more highly resourced. I find it doubtful that the King's Lynn squad would be dealing with issues in Norwich, and certainly not taking the fire brigade with them, especially considering the time it takes to get between the two places. I also found the crime in this book to be somewhat far fetched - and the starting investigation remains open.
Having said that, time spent with Ruth is never entirely wasted and this was enjoyable enough, despite the reservations above. ( )
  Helenliz | Jan 11, 2022 |
Just when I thought the series could not get any better Griffiths just blows me away again! The character of Ruth is perfection and the history she has with Nelson just keeps me wanting more. ( )
  purpledog | Jan 5, 2022 |
Still enjoying the series - maybe for the love interest rather than the crime mysteries
  MiriamL | Oct 10, 2021 |
Elly Griffiths’s series of novels featuring Dr Ruth Galloway, Head of Forensic Archaeology at the University of North Norfolk, goes from strength to strength. I often worry when reading a sustained series of novels featuring the same cast of core characters that the author might succumb to a formulaic approach, rehashing similar plots and having the characters go through new versions of the same old interactions. This is (I think) the ninth novel featuring Ruth Galloway and her circle of friends, colleagues and police associates, and there is no sign yet of any weakening of the quality.

One of Griffiths’s strengths is her ability to interlace separate plot strands. In this novel, the principal story revolves around the murder of two homeless people in Norwich while other homeless people seem also to have disappeared. Meanwhile, bones have been discovered during preparatory work for a new construction development, and Ruth is called in to review them, to consider whether they are of historic or recent vintage.

There is a lot of emotional hinterland in the novel, with many of the principal characters involved in a complex web of relationships – indeed, it may be best for readers to work through all the books from the first instalment (The Crossing Place) rather than starting in mid- sequence. The complications and unavoidable awkwardnesses that arise from this all add to, rather than detract from, the power of the novel.

All very enjoyable, and it left me looking forward to the next instalment. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Oct 8, 2021 |
I was a little disappointed by the last book in this series, 'The Woman in Blue'. I said that I hoped Elly Griffiths would be back to her best for this tome: SHE IS!!!!

I couldn't put this one down. One of the things that I love about this series of books is that I can never predict the next event. I was genuinely surprised by several of the events in this book. I also like the way that not all the loose ends are tied up. One of the strings within this tale is left unanswered in a 'you can't win them all' way. Because of the pleasure of the solutions to the book's other conundrums, (interesting, I thought that was 'conundra', but I was wrong!) there is no sense of an unfinished work.

This is one of the best fables within the series, to date. I can't wait to read the next one... ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Sep 30, 2021 |

Griffiths, Ellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kennedy, MarthaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDowell, JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Sarah K. Huber
Prologue
3.20 a.m., 3 June 2015
He shouldn't really be driving; they all know that.
"Today our acronym is COAST."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,988,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible