Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

Pachinko (original 2017; edition 2020)

by Min Jin Lee (Author)

"A new tour de force from the bestselling author of Free Food for Millionaires, for readers of The Kite Runner and Cutting for Stone. PACHINKO follows one Korean family through the generations, beginning in early 1900s Korea with Sunja, the prized daughter of a poor yet proud family, whose unplanned pregnancy threatens to shame them all. Deserted by her lover, Sunja is saved when a young tubercular minister offers to marry and bring her to Japan. So begins a sweeping saga of an exceptional family in exile from its homeland and caught in the indifferent arc of history. Through desperate struggles and hard-won triumphs, its members are bound together by deep roots as they face enduring questions of faith, family, and identity"--… (more)
Member:boredgames
Title:Pachinko
Authors:Min Jin Lee (Author)
Info:Apollo (2020), Edition: Reissue
Rating:***1/2

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee (2017)

The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (doryfish)
    doryfish: A man marries a woman already pregnant with another's child and they immigrate together.

English (183)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (186)
it was too long! i like the sparseness of the writing that matched their poverty but found it a tad too plain sometimes, too obvious. i think it coiuld have been a third shorter- i skim read the final third. some sections are brilliant, though. ( )
  boredgames | Jan 13, 2021 |
The story really held me. I liked the last third or so of the book less than the rest, but all around, the story is well wrought. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was fascinated to learn about a people's history and a part of the world I knew nothing about, Korea. My only quibble is that the book was a little too long, I think more editing could have been done. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
Could not put it down and it now stands as one of the few books that caused me to audibly gasp in surprise. Loved the characters and found myself super attached to the family and learned about a whole area of history I had no clue about. ( )
  RachellErnst | Jan 5, 2021 |
  arukiyomi | Dec 27, 2020 |

Lee, Min Jinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lecq, Paul van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leger, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearson, BrigidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit answered to, in strongest conjuration.
-Charles Dickens
For Christopher and Sam
History has failed us, but no matter.

In the early 1900s, teenaged Sunja, the adored daughter of a crippled fisherman, falls for a wealthy stranger at the seashore near her home in Korea. He promises her the world, but when she discovers she is pregnant-and that her lover is married-she refuses to be bought. Instead, she accepts an offer of marriage from a gentle, sickly minister passing through on his way to Japan. But her decision to abandon her home, and to reject her son's powerful father, sets off a dramatic saga that will echo down through the generations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,486,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible