The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's…

The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret)

by Andrea Cremer

"In an alternate nineteenth-century America, Charlotte is on the run from both the empire and the revolution. Now she must figure out whom she trusts, once and for all"--

I really enjoyed how everything came together here. This has a pretty steady pace and it kept me on my toes in terms of the twists. ( )
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
This conclusion to the Inventor's Secret trilogy was filled with action as Charlotte takes Grave and flees from New Orleans. She is still a revolutionary but she doesn't want Grave to be used by either the revolutionary forces or the Empire. They flee with pirates but are captured by bounty hunters who deliver them to Empire forces. They are split up with Charlotte taken to the Empire's high tech prison and Grave to tinkers who try to find out why he works.

Meanwhile, Charlotte's friends are attempting to find and rescue them. This story has great steampunk detail in an alternate world where the revolutionaries lost the American revolution and are still under control of the British Empire. I liked that the women were as brave and intrepid as the men. I liked the floating city and the ships that could take to the air to get away from pursuit. I thought the battles with the steampunk weaponry were well done.

I liked that Charlotte wasn't going to automatically follow the revolution just because she had been raised to be a revolutionary but was tweaking her participation to fit with her goals and her conscience.

Fans of alternate history, steampunk, and adventure will enjoy this series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 6, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,860,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible