Scythe

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Arc of a Scythe (1)

5,2322002,011 (4.25)44
""In a world where disease has been eliminated, the only way to die is to be randomly killed ('gleaned') by professional reapers ('scythes'). Two teens must compete with each other to become a scythe--a position neither of them wants. The one who becomes a scythe must kill the one who doesn't"--
    They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: YA books that take place in a world where our relationship with death has fundamentally changed
    Wool by Hugh Howey (CKHarwood)
    CKHarwood: Wool and Scythe share similar ideas about engineered futures and a detached writing style.

English (196)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (198)
This was an interesting world. I personally find the idea of eternal life on earth horrifying, but I would also hate to have to be the one who determines who has to die. The two apprentices vying for the chance to become a scythe are both strong characters. You find yourself hoping for a way for them both to succeed. The ending was fitting and I look forward to continuing on with the trilogy. ( )
  Woodardja | Jan 30, 2024 |
4.5 stars ( )
  EllieBhurrut | Jan 24, 2024 |
Interesting world premise, and a couple nice plot twists, but characters and writing too simplistic for me. ( )
  js3b | Dec 28, 2023 |
I thought it was very good. Aubrey and Em have both recommended I read it and I'm glad they did because I enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to what the rest of the series is like. 10/10 - November 27, 2023 ( )
  XRayBlaster006 | Nov 27, 2023 |
Lambeth Phoenix Book Award, 2019 (Arc of a Scythe)
  Ardscoil | Nov 23, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

Awards

Notable Lists

For Olga (Ludovika) Nødtvedt,
a faraway fan and friend
We must, by law, keep a record of the innocents we kill.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,867,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible