Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life by…

Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life

by Laurie Notaro

Essays about things such as trying to recreate the flavor of the original Hostess Twinkie at home. The boyfriend who broke up with her because she made her grandmother's spaghetti recipe for him and that he wasn't looking for that level of commitment. Taking her coddled nephew to skanky Waffle House, and choosing which people she would allow into her survivor's basement if the world is destroyed.
Notaro is always fun. ( )
  mstrust | Dec 8, 2018 |
Read from July 15 to 25, 2016

This is my first stroll down Notaro lane and it was quite enjoyable. I will admit to some essays being duds for me, but the ones that had me laughing out loud (there were tears & snorts) more than made up for those few I didn't love. I even found my way to the author's Facebook page to keep up with her daily shenanigans (and she definitely has them). ( )
  melissarochelle | Dec 30, 2016 |
There are some truly funny things in this book but the best part of this book is the confidence of the author, who shares her life, including a touching letter to a younger self. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 23, 2016 |
This collection of 25 humorous personal essays, generally on the topic of homekeeping, is like listening to a friend’s self-deprecating stories. Think fresh, like Jenny Lawson. Or maybe Nora Ephron, but lighter.

My favorites include Notaro’s essay about being unfriended on Facebook by her dad; her reaction to Marie Kondo’s (unattributed) “tidying” book; her anxiety as she waits for city workers to remove the enormous pile of autumn leaves that has accumulated in front of her house; the neighbor’s dead tree that falls and becomes her liability; and an homage to her current hometown of Eugene, Oregon.

This is the first I’ve read by Notaro. Her voice is energetic and optimistic and, depending on topics, I’d read more.

(Review based on an advance reading copy provided by the publisher.) ( )
  DetailMuse | Jun 26, 2016 |

"...Laurie Notaro isn't exactly a domestic goddess--unless that means she fully embraces her genetic hoarding predisposition, sneaks peeks at her husband's daily journal, or has made a list of the people she wants on her Apocalypse Survival team (her husband's not on it). Notaro chronicles her chronic misfortune in the domestic arts, including cooking, cleaning, and putting on Spanx while sweaty (which should technically qualify as an Olympic sport). Housebroken is a rollicking new collection of essays showcasing her irreverent wit and inability to feel shame."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,362,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible