The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets…

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World (A Squirrel Girl Novel)

by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale (Author)

Series: Marvel Prose Novel, Squirrel Girl (1)

After Doreen uses her extraordinary powers to stop a group of troublemakers, she becomes a full-fledged superhero called Squirrel Girl.
Recently added bychelsea.carmanmoore, private library, rena75, Woebane, curiouser_etc, Jeeps, DMPrice

Reading this, I could envision a 14-year-old, middle-school predecessor to the character I've come to know through the Ryan North / Erica Henderson comic books. This chapter-novel is an origin story for The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and I liked seeing how aspects of the character first came into being. That said, I think readers could also appreciate this story if they had no prior knowledge of Squirrel Girl; as a character, I found Doreen to be very relatable, especially her past experience being ridiculed by classmates. She gave voice to what I also felt with all of my being, that my classmates would really like me if they only gave me a chance -- that is, until I decided they were too stupid and thus not deserving of my time. The world needs stories that center around optimistic, idealistic characters; even without the proportional speed, strength and agility of a squirrel, that optimism and idealism make Doreen Green a true super hero.
  Cynthia_Parkhill | Aug 25, 2019 |
This review is from: Marvel: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World (Marvel Fiction) (Paperback)

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme.

I am reviewing The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by New York Times Best-Selling authors Shannon Hale and Dean Hale. Here are my thoughts:

^^ Doreen Green is an adorable 14 year old girl just like you and me, only she's secretly also a squirrel with a bushy tail and has a penchant for gnawi
ng on wood to keep her front teeth trim. But yeah, to the every day person, she's normal. Nudge, nudge, wink wink.

^^ Since this is an official Marvel book, it should be no surprise that in this episode, Doreen (Squirrel Girl) doesn't really know she has superpowers, although she's always fancied herself as superhero, like many she admires herself. So when she moves to New Jersey, closer to She-Hulk and The Avengers, not only does she hope to bump into them, she actually comes across her own super villain and his robot minions who test her to the limit allowing her skills to develop.

^^ I do like that her new friend, Ana Sofia, is portrayed as a girl who is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. Ana is such a refreshing character to discover.

^^ I also love how, as this is a Marvel book there is a certain amount of crossover of other Marvel characters. I won't say who or which ones, but as fan, I loved it when I found out! One thing I will ask - r
emember Thor in the kebab shop?

^^ Although I'd heard of Squirrel Girl, this is the first time I've had the pleasure of reading about her in a full book (not a graphic novel). I'm not really sure what age group this is aimed at, as I'd say anyone into Marvel would enjoy it, even as young as 8 - 9 years of age if they're good readers. However, as Squirrel Girl is 14, I'm guessing this is a young adult book. I mean, I'm no young adult, and I still thought it was fun, but I'm still confused who exactly this is aimed at. For example, this would be a fun read-together book for even younger children into Marvel. So around 8 - 14 would be a good age.

^^ The book style is written from different points of view, (Doreen, her friends and sometimes the villain). No problems with this at all.

^^ Towards the end, as one story gets wrapped up, I can see another revealing. A possible new adventure? Stay tuned, I'm sure it will appear soon! By the way, I loved the
marvellous "Marvel" ending. You'd best read it to find out what I mean...

Overall: I loved Squirrel Girl from the moment she bounced onto the first page. She's cheeky, knows what she wants, and she if full of character. She's literally a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed fun girl. I think this is a great addition to any Marvel library and hope to discover more. ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
Absolutely, utterly, incredibly and in every way delightful. For any Squirrel Girl fan, this is a must read. Maybe the best superhero story I've read in years. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
When I was a child, I wanted to grow up to be a squirrel. Actually, I still do. So this is the book for me! Hilarious and fun. Awesome Squirrel Girl battles battles evil robots and an aspiring super villain, saves babies, dogs, and squirrels, and makes some friends.

I'm going to go read the original comic book version ASAP.

JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I have only the bare minimal knowledge of Marvel super heroes. I suppose I'd have even less knowledge if a friend hadn't talked me into seeing that movie with the raccoon and walking tree... what was it called? Still, I enjoyed reading this funny and silly story. I liked the upbeat attitude of Doreen. I especially liked how she couldn't/wouldn't lie to get parents to hide her super hero activities and her parents reluctant but supportive responses.

Kids younger and older would enjoy it but my kids would probably be confused by the references to other super heroes since their Marvel exposure is limited to the Avenger Potato Head toys someone gave them. There is no bad language and the violence is limited to some scrapes and cuts and complete annihilation of robot bad guys. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |

Mangyoku, BrunoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Revasch, AbigailNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shelley "Lady Servo" Bush
Doreen Green liked her name.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,974,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible