Ego Is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday

Ego Is the Enemy (2016)

by Ryan Holiday

After reading The Obstacle is the Way, I decided to read this most recent work by Ryan Holiday. While the way some of the snippets of biographical histories have been used as examples could be challenged from their somewhat mono-cultural bent, and there were quite a few typographical errors which put me ill at ease, I still found this work helpful. Again, I marvel at the wisdom of somebody so young but the depth of reading by the author is obvious and this encourages me to look beyond the standard criticisms of formulaic success manuals with small historical snippets as supporting arguments. I particularly like the bibliography and I will request a copy of the extended reading list available from the author. But as part of my overall reading plan, I am glad that I took the time to read Holiday's work and I intend to read the rest very soon. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
A bit preachy and taken a bit far, but nevertheless a good reminder of the extent to which our egos malignly interfere with our lives. ( )
  jvgravy | May 15, 2017 |
This book will make you reflect on your life and probe into your personality. It certainly has made me think about my actions - past and on going. I no longer portray my certificates in my cubicle, just so it doesn't sway me away for the real purpose of me doing my work. Speaking of purpose, the author aptly puts it 'be driven by purpose not by passion'. The author suggests to steer clear from rewards and praises. I could relate this to what Dr. Kelly McGonigal says in her book The Willpower Instinct- focus on commitment and not on progress.

I read variety and I see this point come up in various places:
Bhagavad Gita: Never consider yourself the cause of the results of your activities.
Physics: Atom is mostly void; since we're chiefly made up of nothing, why tame ego?
Biologically, your birth is the result of a chance event - one out of million other cells. For a probability so small, why need such a large ego?

I wish the examples provided were a little more recent so readers could relate more closely to those.

Clean up the floor of ego and continually do so - intense! ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2017 |
Ryan Holiday has created another stellar book after his excellent volume THE OBSTACLE IS THE WAY. He pulls no punches in his writing and yet he writes as a traveler on the same journey as his readers not as someone who thinks they have already arrived and now lights the way for the rest of us.

This book is helpful because it does two basic things:

1. It rips off the blinders we have to our own ego.
2. It provides guidance for how to deal with what it has uncovered.

If I had the money, I would buy THE OBSTACLE IS THE WAY and EGO IS THE ENEMY for everyone I know. They are that good. ( )
  JosephMcBee | Dec 26, 2016 |
This book is useful no matter where you are in your career, but if you're in the early stages - it is a must-read.

I will recommend it over and over again to all the young, promising, ambitious people I'm lucky enough to encounter.

Ryan's skill continues to grow with each new book. ( )
  itime2 | Dec 26, 2016 |

Many of us insist the main impediment to a full, successful life is the outside world. In fact, the most common enemy lies within: our ego. Early in our careers, it impedes learning and the cultivation of talent. With success, it can blind us to our faults and sow future problems. In failure, it magnifies each blow and makes recovery more difficult. At every stage, ego holds us back. Ego Is the Enemy draws on a vast array of stories and examples, from literature to philosophy to history. We meet fascinating figures such as George Marshall, Jackie Robinson, Katharine Graham, Bill Belichick, and Eleanor Roosevelt, who all reached the highest levels of power and success by conquering their own egos. Their strategies and tactics can be ours as well. In an era that glorifies social media, reality TV, and other forms of shameless self-promotion, the battle against ego must be fought on many fronts. Armed with the lessons in this book, as Holiday writes, "you will be less invested in the story you tell about your own specialness, and as a result, you will be liberated to accomplish the world-changing work you've set out to achieve."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible