Gilded Cage by Vic James

Gilded Cage (2017)

by Vic James

This was an excellent alternative history story where royalty was more than a simple matter of birth, but the nobility were also endowed with some superpowers that made them able to keep their privileged existence. Talk about income inequality! In this society each plebian member of society has to serve 10 years of his life as a slave and they can choose which 10 years they serve. Fascinating world and the plot goes beyond the obvious revolution with lots of subplots and intrigue. This is the first of a trilogy and you can definitely sign me up for book 2! ( )
  jmoncton | Mar 17, 2017 |
I had a few doubts starting this book, being that it was a new author and yet another dystopia YA novel. However, by the first chapter the alternative history aspects of this book had intrigued me and I was impressed by the author's world-building. Set in a world separated by Skill - basically those who can wield magic and who live an aristocratic lifestyle - and those who lack Skill - basically everyone else. The unskilled are expected by law to spend 10 years of their life as slaves - a system which supports the relative wealth and power of the skilled aristocracy. This book is told from a variety of perspectives, so the reader receives a picture of society at all its various levels. A good read and definitely something to recommend to fans of YA dystopian novels. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Mar 9, 2017 |
fantasy, magic, slavery ( )
  multilingualmaid | Mar 7, 2017 |
Boring little book suitable for young readers without much fantasy literature experience. It's The Hunger Games with magic. Yawn.

I received a review copy of "The Gilded Cage" by Vic James (Del Ray) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Feb 25, 2017 |
GILDED CAGE took me a little bit to get into, but once I did, it was easy to keep reading.

There really is a lot going on in GILDED CAGE. Not only with the characters, but the world and events that take place too. The world itself is run by the equals—they have magical gifts. The commoners—no magical gifts—are forced to serve the equals for 10 years of their life. They are slaves for that entire time with no rights and are not treated very well. As with any situation like this, there are those that don't agree with the system and throughout GILDED CAGE a revolution erupts and lines are blurred.

I think my biggest issue with GILDED CAGE was that there were a lot of different POV's. I'm not a big fan of jumping around in different brains and it was a little hard for me to have so many to jump around in. Having said that, I did enjoy the characters of GILDED CAGE. They were all well developed and brought different things to the story. I was really surprised by most of them at one point or another while reading.

I was less than thrilled with the ending of GILDED CAGE, but can't really explain why due to spoilers. I was left with a lot of questions and very little answers, but I am interested in seeing what will happen next and what will become of a certain character that pretty much lost what they were at the end.

I gave it 3/5 stars

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Feb 23, 2017 |

For readers of Victoria Aveyard and Kiera Cass comes a darkly fantastical debut set in a modern England where magically gifted aristocrats rule—and commoners are doomed to serve.

NOT ALL ARE FREE.
NOT ALL ARE EQUAL.
NOT ALL WILL BE SAVED.

Our world belongs to the Equals—aristocrats with magical gifts—and all commoners must serve them for ten years.

But behind the gates of England’s grandest estate lies a power that could break the world.

A girl thirsts for love and knowledge.

Abi is a servant to England’s most powerful family, but her spirit is free. So when she falls for one of their noble-born sons, Abi faces a terrible choice. Uncovering the family’s secrets might win her liberty—but will her heart pay the price?

A boy dreams of revolution.

Abi’s brother, Luke, is enslaved in a brutal factory town. Far from his family and cruelly oppressed, he makes friends whose ideals could cost him everything. Now Luke has discovered there may be a power even greater than magic: revolution.

And an aristocrat will remake the world with his dark gifts.

He is a shadow in the glittering world of the Equals, with mysterious powers no one else understands. But will he liberate—or destroy?

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Jun 2016 18:54:19 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,296,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible