The Purloined Poodle by Kevin Hearne

The Purloined Poodle (2016)

by Kevin Hearne

A highlight of Luke Daniels’ work on Kevin Hearne’s "Iron Druid Chronicles" is his portrayal of Oberon, the druid’s Irish Wolfhound. This novella gives Oberon the spotlight, as he and his druid Atticus investigate the dog-napping of Grand Champion hounds in the Pacific Northwest. Stakes in the case (as well as “steak dinners”) are raised when an owner is found dead, and a Portland detective grows suspicious of how Atticus can be in towns all over Oregon in a single morning. It’s impressive how smoothly Daniels shifts between the extraordinary caricature of Oberon’s voice and the many human voices he expertly performs, letting the hound’s simple emotions drive the story with humor and doggy enthusiasm. Listeners will enjoy this light entry, which introduces new characters and complications in the interval between "Staked" and the forthcoming "Besieged." ( )
  yarmando | Jul 9, 2017 |
cute story with mainly Oberon as the main character ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 28, 2017 |
A neat little spinoff of the Iron Druid. The world is finally right as Oberon emerges as the lead detective in a doggy mystery caper. He earns many savory rewards and finds a pint size Watson to assist as he works to identify who is plundering the pooches. ( )
  jamespurcell | Feb 25, 2017 |
I just LOVE Kevin Hearne. Can I say that? Literary references, historical references, RPG references, sci-fi TV show references. Specific episodes, even, like the X-files episode with Big Mike. I just want to hug this guy and call him family.

Yes, all those references are made in The Purloined Poodle, in addition to it being a great mystery. Oberon, Atticus’s Irish Wolfhound and comic sidekick, gets his own story from his own point of view, and it’s wonderfully done. From the inaccurate sense of time to the obsession with meat to the ongoing battle with squirrels and other distractions, we really get a sense of what it’s like to be Oberon in Atticus’s world.

The book had me laughing the entire time; but I cannot WAIT for the audio! I feel sorry for Luke Daniels, as voicing Oberon for a whole novella has got to kill his voice for a few days. But OMG it is going to be so epic.🙂

Lots and lots of geeky love for this awesome novella. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Oct 4, 2016 |
I received an early copy of this book from Netgalley.

I thought this was fantastic! The mystery was interesting and worked out well in the end. I loved seeing a more grounded or small-time adventure from Atticus and Oberon. Oberon is basically one of my favorite Dogs-From-Books, and I loved spending so much time in his head.

This is just a great, shorter story from Kevin Hearne! I'd definitely recommend it! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dara, GalenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Thanks to his relationship with the ancient Druid Atticus O’Sullivan, Oberon the Irish wolfhound knows trouble when he smells it—and furthermore, he knows he can handle it.

When he discovers that a prize-winning poodle has been abducted in Eugene, Oregon, he learns that it’s part of a rash of hound abductions all over the Pacific Northwest. Since the police aren’t too worried about dogs they assume have run away, Oberon knows it’s up to him to track down those hounds and reunite them with their humans. For justice! And gravy!

Engaging the services of his faithful Druid, Oberon must travel throughout Oregon and Washington to question a man with a huge salami, thwart the plans of diabolical squirrels, and avoid, at all costs, a fight with a great big bear.

But if he’s going to solve the case of the Purloined Poodle, Oberon will have to recruit the help of a Boston terrier named Starbuck, survive the vegetables in a hipster pot pie, and firmly refuse to be distracted by fire hydrants and rabbits hiding in the rose bushes.

At the end of the day, will it be a sad bowl of dry kibble for the world’s finest hound detective, or will everything be coming up sirloins?

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,687,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible