The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate…

The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase (edition 2017)

by Wendy Mass (Author)

Series: The Candymakers (2)

Logan, Miles, Philip, and Daisy embark on a tour to promote the winning candy bar and experience an adventurous journey full of hidden treasures, secret worlds, and candy.
Member:bibliophilemom1
Title:The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase
Authors:Wendy Mass (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2017), Edition: Reprint, 560 pages

The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase by Wendy Mass

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy.

Confession time - I started this book on my own, and became thoroughly confused with all the vague references to things that occurred in the first novel, The Candymakers.. While some books in a series work great on their own, this one really leaned on the first.

Lest I judge it too harshly (as it is geared towards middle schoolers) I opted to read this WITH my 10yo.
She LOVED it, laughed out loud, and stopped frequently to discuss something in the plot that she enjoyed. While she was a bit confused by the references to Miles' dream world and other things that occurred in the prior book, she was easily able to overcome it and focus on the story in front of her. (I had a bit more difficult time with it.)

Still, she enjoyed the adventure, the empowerment of the kids (my choice of words to sum up her excessive explanation), Daisy's cool spy gadgets, and the story. And of course, she loved the idea of all that candy!

While some middle school novels translate well for adult reading, this book is planted firmly in middle school ground, and that is just fine.
I would recommend reading the series in order.

jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
Semi-perminant?
  LilyRead | Nov 20, 2020 |
The highly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling novel The Candymakers by beloved author Wendy Mass
It has been a few months since the nationwide New Candy Contest, and Logan, Miles, Philip, and Daisy have returned to their regular lives. But when the winning candy bar comes down the conveyor belt at the Life is Sweet candy factory, Logan realizes something's very wrong....
When the Candymaker announces that they will be going on tour to introduce the new candy bar, the four friends see this as an opportunity to make things right. But with a fifty-year-old secret revealed and stakes higher for each of them than they ever imagined, they will have to trust one another--and themselves--in order to face what lies ahead.
In this action-packed sequel to the bestselling novel The Candymakers, prepare to embark on a journey full of hidden treasures, secret worlds, and candy.
LOTS and LOTS of candy.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
This is a great sequel to the first book, The Candymakers. It depicts the same for loving characters (plus AJ:) on a road trip to help promote the Harmonicandy......but things get complicated with the original Harmonicandy's ingredients and a whole hunt to uncover the mystery. Along the way, new friends are made, old relationships mended, and a great adventure. I love how other worlds such as the Chronicles of Narnia and Wendy Mass's other pieces were added to this book, but it really wasn't necessary. I liked how new secrets are uncovered and more past events are brought up to the present. The characters (I think) matured more; but Daisy's fun character got kind of lost and Philip's musical ability did not shine as mush as it did in the first book. Also, I regret to say that this book dragged a little too slow to get to the climax and main point. But it was a great continuation that I was glad to finally have after waiting so many years:) Thanks Wendy!!! ( )
  Pusheen | Jan 3, 2017 |
Longer and lots more going on than the original Candymakers book, the sequel brings Logan, Miles, Philip, and Daisy back together for a road trip during which they hope to solve several different mysteries.

It begins with a box that arrives for Logan, full of his grandfather's old papers. Logan gives the box to Miles, who loves that sort of thing, and Miles finds a "Map of AWE" - and maybe also proof that Samuel Sweet obtained the special cocoa beans for the Magic Bar in a not-completely-aboveboard way.

The road trip's original purpose was to promote the Harmonicandy, but now the Harmonicandy might never be made at all, and the kids have new questions to answer: Does Daisy have a brother (and is it AJ?)? Does Philip have a grandmother? Does Miles have secret relatives as well? Where did the special blue beans come from? With AJ as chaperone in the technologically tricked-out spy RV, they are going to find out.

"Not all maps are treasure maps," Miles said as patiently as possible. "Most just show you where you are, or how to get there."
Philip shrugged. "This one doesn't seem to do either of those things." (343) ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 4, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,329,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible