Devil in Spring

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: The Ravenels (3), Wallflowers (6)

New York Times bestselling author LISA KLEYPAS delivers the unforgettable tale of a strong-willed beauty who encounters her match in one of London's most notorious--yet irresistible--rakes . . . An eccentric wallflower  . . . Most debutantes dream of finding a husband. Lady Pandora Ravenel has different plans. The ambitious young beauty would much rather stay at home and plot out her new board game business than take part in the London Season. But one night at a glittering society ball, she's ensnared in a scandal with a wickedly handsome stranger. A cynical rake  . . . After years of evading marital traps with ease, Gabriel, Lord St. Vincent, has finally been caught by a rebellious girl who couldn't be less suitable. In fact, she wants nothing to do with him. But Gabriel finds the high-spirited Pandora irresistible. He'll do whatever it takes to possess her, even if their marriage of convenience turns out to be the devil's own bargain. A perilous plot  . . . After succumbing to Gabriel's skilled and sensuous persuasion, Pandora agrees to become his bride. But soon she discovers that her entrepreneurial endeavors have accidentally involved her in a dangerous conspiracy--and only her husband can keep her safe. As Gabriel protects her from their unknown adversaries, they realize their devil's bargain may just turn out to be a match made in heaven . . .… (more)

Devil in Spring - Kleypas
Audio performance by M.J.Wells
3 stars

Pandora Ravenel doesn’t need to marry and she doesn’t want to, thank you very much. She has a patent on her first game board and she wants to start her own factory. The lack of legal rights and protection for married women is very much a theme of this romance. The reappearance of Dr. Gibson, England’s only female physician, adds an additional feminist plotline.

Pandora is a quirky character who adds humor to every conversation. I like her. I like the other characters, their interactions, and the witty banter of every conversation. I found Pandora a bit unbelievable as a sexual lure to the cynical Gabriel, Lord St. Vincent. But, where would the story be without him? And then, there is the fact that Gabriel is the eldest son of the former Viscount from a previous series. There’s no escape from these addictive series. ( )
  msjudy | Sep 21, 2020 |
I'm on a kick, a spree, a binge.

I don't think this back to back is hurting, but I'm noticing these sheltered, virtuous heroines.... Who have been reading naughty books but know nothing saved by the self-assured, perfect hero.

There were wonderful lines, as in the last ones, and there were lines that make a seasoned romance reader who likes the cheese scoff.

There was too much reliance on the parental figures to develop and explain Gabriel, and too many echoes, albeit weak echoes, of Sebastian. The fox story was adorable, yet forced.

Still, it went down smooth. It was fun and sweet and cute and swoony. If Kleypas was going to make the Challons such a force there's a lot of ways to twist the kids and I'm not sure the innocent, zany heroine was the proper match.

There were decidedly moving scenes, like when Gabriel took his stand to make Pandora trust him, but as a stubborn woman myself I nearly cried because I thought it was exactly as she said: cruel.

Alas, the hero always knows better, dontcha know? Which gets right to the heart of the matter for me. I can feel the love, but the paternal condescension of so many Lisa Kleypas heroes can make me angry and breathless in turns. Yes, I love it at times. Because sometimes that's how the people we love save us, but to assign all worldiness to the men, and dumb careless flitter through life to the women is decidedly played. Here's where I can appreciate Annabelle from Wallflowers, or hell, any of the Wallflowers, who simultaneously save each other and themselves through any tool at their disposal.

By the end, Gabriel feels like amorphous goo, with no sense of himself: the every hero. Besotted. Confident. Protective. Accepting.

And Pandora became a caricature of herself after starting off different but determined-compelling.

So this went anywhere from a 2-4. I'll put it right in the middle again. I reserve the right to downgrade but probably won't be upgrading. It was too annoying for that. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
While I love books written by Lisa Kleypas, she has exceeded all expectations with this book. Her heroine Pandora makes as much trouble as her namesake. She is always getting into mischief and trouble. Her independent attitude and the way she makes up words makes you LOVE her.
Gabriel, Lord St Vincent, heir to a dukedom was minding his own business waiting for a fireworks display when he finds Pandora caught in a couch. While trying to extricate her they are spotted and she will be ruined if he doesn't marry her.
He hadn't planned to marry and she was violently opposed to marriage so watching them come together and fall in love is a delight. They both have a wonderful sense of humor and together they are perfection.
When Pandora's life is put in danger, Ms Kleypas is at her best describing the anguish that Gabriel feels. This book is a wonderful addition to this series and I can't wait to see what happens in any other books in this series. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
This is easily my favorite of the Ravenels series so far. Pandora is an absolute joy to read about! I love her tenacity and how she always sticks to her values in the face of adveristy. She's a fantastic female lead who, arguably, doesn't need no man! ( )
  ladyofliterature | Jan 9, 2020 |
The Ravenels series continues with Pandora's story. Pandora accidentally finds herself in a compromising position with Gabriel, Lord St. Vincent -- through no fault of her own. Independent Pandora isn't interested in marriage; Gabriel feels obligated to do the honorable thing.

This book was interesting, in that it touched on a number of social issues of the Victorian era, while spinning an engaging romance. Pandora's eccentricity is endearing, and the things she says are sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. Gabriel proves that at the heart of a rake is an honorable, caring gentleman, and his dogged pursuit of a woman who is so clearly ill-suited to be his wife is fun to experience.

I look forward to reading book #4 -- Dr. Garrett Gibson's story. ( )
  niaomiya | Dec 23, 2019 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Carrie Feron,
For all your incredible kindness, hard work, and insight, and for making my life and my books more joyful.
Evangeline, the Duchess of Kingston, lifted her infant grandson from the nursery tub and wrapped him snugly in a soft white towel.

An eccentric wallflower…

Most debutantes dream of finding a husband. Lady Pandora Ravenel has different plans. The ambitious young beauty would much rather stay at home and plot out her new board game business than take part in the London Season. But one night at a glittering society ball, she’s ensnared in a scandal with a wickedly handsome stranger.

A cynical rake…

After years of evading marital traps with ease, Gabriel, Lord St. Vincent, has finally been caught-by a rebellious girl who couldn’t be less suitable. In fact, she wants nothing to do with him. But Gabriel finds the high-spirited Pandora irresistible. He’ll do whatever it takes to possess her, even if their marriage of convenience turns out to be the devil’s own bargain.

A perilous plot…

After succumbing to Gabriel’s skilled and sensuous persuasion, Pandora agrees to become his bride. But soon she discovers that her entrepreneurial endeavors have accidentally involved her in a dangerous conspiracy-and only her husband can keep her safe. As Gabriel protects her from their unknown adversaries, they realize their devil’s bargain may just turn out to be a match made in heaven...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,817,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible