Devil in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

by Lisa Kleypas

Devil in Spring
by Lisa Kleypas
#3 The Ravenels
Audio narrated by Mary Jane Wells (Excellent)

1870s - London

Superb example of an historical romance and a really fun read! Chock full of humorous banter, characters you'll absolutely adore, and a romance between two likable characters that is heartwarming from the first time they meet.

Lady Pandora Ravenel has always been a precocious girl who does things her own way. After being orphaned by her neglectful parents, she was cared for by a loving older sister who tried to smooth her rough edges but didn't want to dampen her spirit. She's considered a bit wild or odd because she does things her own way and is often impetuous. She has a habit of combining the meaning of two words that fit a situation and making up a new word (this is fun to see in usage). This habit, and her penchant for speaking quickly and always two steps ahead of everyone around her, reminds me of Lorelei Gilmore (for you "Gilmore Girls" fans who will get it). Her mind is always going a mile a minute and she is incredibly smart and imaginative. She is easily distracted, has no patience for things or people who bore her, and is often clumsy (the reason why is explained in the book) which makes her seem a bit addlepated.

She is in the process of marketing a string of board games (a new and unique concept in England) she has designed and will be selling in her brother-in-law's department store (Rhys Winterborne from the previous book in this series). She plans on being a successful businesswoman. As a single woman, she can be in control of her own company, make business decisions and sign contracts, etc. If she were married, all that control and the ownership of the business would legally go to her husband. For this reason, she knows she will never want to marry.

After Lord St. Vincent (Gabriel) hears her curses and gallantly helps Pandora get her head unstuck from a settee (a true "I Love Lucy" moment), an embarrassing predicament for Pandora turns into what looks like something indecent when they are caught together looking disheveled and alone during a party. Because Pandora has now been "compromised," Gabriel is pressured to do the honorable thing and marry her.

Gabriel proves himself and his genuine concern for her in many ways and is pretty much a perfect romantic hero. Pandora's charming personality immediately wins him over, but it takes her a bit longer to trust him not to dash her dreams for her future. While she's stealing his heart, she's also charming his big brute of a bodyguard, Drago (nicknamed Dragon). He doesn't stand a chance as she immediately wraps him around her little finger as well. That was another cute secondary storyline.

Although there was some last-minute drama that didn't seem entirely necessary to the story and the resolution was too pat, this book was completely enjoyable and will go on my list as a favorite. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | May 7, 2017 |
I honestly couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. It was on my list of most anticipated books EVER. And Ms. Kleypas didn't disappoint. It was written in the true Lisa Kleypas style that made me fall in love with the original Wallfowers series.
Gabriel is completely swoonworthy, it's in his DNA. He has all the characteristics of a top notch hero....Handsome, couragous, caring, devoted and funny. Pandora was such a wonderful character with her eccentricities not usually found in romance heroines.

Lisa Kleypas is a top selling author for a reason. Her stories are wonderfully written and this one is no exception. It is so well-crafted, the characters feel so real, it seems they could leap off the page. This book will be going in my favorites pile with all her other books. ( )
  CelticBookDragon | Apr 12, 2017 |
'Devil in Spring' is Lisa Kleypas's third story in her latest historical series, The Ravenels and this is Pandora and Gabriel's happily ever after. If you've never read 'Devil in Winter', a story of Gabriel's parents, then you've missed out on one of the best romance novels ever written. However, you don't have to have read it to get the gist of this story and Gabriel's character.

He is someone who grew up knowing his destiny and duty of one day becoming a duke, yet the love of his parents had allowed him the freedom to play the field and at the moment we meet him, his parents are not happy with him because he is having an affair with a married woman. He, on the other hand, is very happy with the situation and doesn't have plans of breaking it off any time soon. That is until he crosses paths with our heroine and they get caught in a compromising position.

As for our heroine, Pandora, we've had a pleasure of meeting her from the start of this series and out of all the Ravenel's, she stood out the most because of her unique outlook on life. I believe all Ravenel's sisters have had a hard upbringing, but Pandora was a precocious child and she bore the brunt of her father's anger the most. She is finally coming into her own and with help from her brother in law, looking forward to being a business woman. She never planed on marriage and a husband because she doesn't want to give up her freedoms. All that changes after they're caught.

What I loved about this story the most are the characters of Gabriel and Pandora and the way they handled the situation they found themselves in. I loved the courting and enjoyed the banter. I was happy when they entered into marriage without the "convenience" being any part of it. I reveled in Gabriel's confusion of trying to figure out who this girl was.

"His annoyance drained away, displaced by a rampage of heat and delight. His heart began to thump with the force of his need to be alone with her. To be inside all that energy. Everything in him had just ignited like a bonfire of cotton sedge. He wanted her, wanted her, with all the reckless, self-indulgent desire he usually managed to keep contained. But it made no sense. He was a civilized man, an experienced one with sophisticated tastes, and she was . . . holy God, what was she?"

What I had a bit of a problem with was big enough to make me enjoy this story less. When I'm taken on a ride, I'd like to finish that ride with a bang, and having us witness all the trials and tribulations of these two awesome characters, I feel that the author had let me down in not taking me into the wedding ceremony itself. One moment they're engaged and the next, in a carriage going to their honeymoon destination.

The secondary plot made sense only because of the further introduction of the young copper with Ravenel's eyes, otherwise was wasted on me.

Should you read it? You bet! It looks like Lisa Kleypas is back to writing historical novel's and I am glad for it.

Let me also suggest the audio for this story. I kept going between the two and I must say the narrator, Mary Jane Wells, rocks!

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I've been waiting for this book like most fans of Lisa Kleypas. I mean it's about Sebastian and Evie's son, Gabriel. I've been dying to see what he would be like and this didn't disappoint - at all.
Gabriel is trapped in a compromising situation by Pandora Ravenel, but it's not her fault. In fact, she doesn't want to marry, especially someone as handsome as Gabriel, because she wants to produce her board game (side note: I swooned when I found out her character is based on the real woman who invented Monopoly).
This is a lovely story. Gabriel woos her, first because he wants to do the right thing, but then he becomes intrigued by her odd behavior. It takes Pandora a little longer to fall in love with Gabriel, but they are a wonderful couple, two of my favorites of Ms. Kleypas's books (and that's saying something). I also liked the history that is skillfully woven in here: Victorian medical practices, Winterbourne's store (from the last book too), the board games, and the part about Irish home rule.
Now it's just a matter of waiting for the next book in the series - sigh. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Feb 26, 2017 |
Love.. Love.. Love this book! Laugh out loud with Pandora!! She is my favourite of the Revenels. ( )
  Dotland101 | Feb 23, 2017 |
To Carrie Feron,
For all your incredible kindness, hard work, and insight, and for making my life and my books more joyful.
Evangeline, the Duchess of Kingston, lifted her infant grandson from the nursery tub and wrapped him snugly in a soft white towel.

An eccentric wallflower…

Most debutantes dream of finding a husband. Lady Pandora Ravenel has different plans. The ambitious young beauty would much rather stay at home and plot out her new board game business than take part in the London Season. But one night at a glittering society ball, she’s ensnared in a scandal with a wickedly handsome stranger.

A cynical rake…

After years of evading marital traps with ease, Gabriel, Lord St. Vincent, has finally been caught-by a rebellious girl who couldn’t be less suitable. In fact, she wants nothing to do with him. But Gabriel finds the high-spirited Pandora irresistible. He’ll do whatever it takes to possess her, even if their marriage of convenience turns out to be the devil’s own bargain.

A perilous plot…

After succumbing to Gabriel’s skilled and sensuous persuasion, Pandora agrees to become his bride. But soon she discovers that her entrepreneurial endeavors have accidentally involved her in a dangerous conspiracy-and only her husband can keep her safe. As Gabriel protects her from their unknown adversaries, they realize their devil’s bargain may just turn out to be a match made in heaven...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,213,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible