Gargantua and Pantagruel: The Histories of…

Gargantua and Pantagruel: The Histories of Gargantua and Pantagruel… (original 1532; edition 1955)

by Francois Rabelais, J. M. Cohen (Translator)

Member:clevercelt
Title:Gargantua and Pantagruel: The Histories of Gargantua and Pantagruel (Classics)
Authors:Francois Rabelais
Other authors:J. M. Cohen (Translator)
Info:Penguin Classics (1955), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 720 pages

Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais (Author) (1532)

English (27)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  All (32)
Rabelais era o James Joyce da renascença ou James Joyce era o Rabelais do modernismo? Essa edição da Itatiaia vem repleta de notas que ajudam a compreender toda a maravilhosa amplitude linguística de Rabelais, além de ser ricamente ilustrada por Gustave Doré. Fazendo parte dos meus estudos sobre Hilda Hilst e literatura obscena a leitura desta pentalogia me foi uma grata surpresa, não só pelo tipo de humor encontrado nela que convencionou-se ser chamado de rabelaisiano ou pantagruélico e que pelos cinéfilos também pode ser chamado de “brancaleônico”, mas principalmente a forma brilhante em que Rabelais faz uso das palavras.
O primeiro livro na verdade foi o segundo a ser escrito, trata da história de Gargântua, pai de Pantagruel, e a guerra das fogaças. O segundo livro, mas primeiro a ser escrito, trata-se da guerra dos Dipsodos. A partir do terceiro livro a saga se atêm ao melhor amigo de Pantagruel, Panúrgio, começando com uma infindável corrida para saber se acaso ele se casar será corno ou não, esgotados os meios filosóficos e divinatórios no terceiro livro, partem para uma viagem a partir do quarto livro conhecendo muitos povos e finalmente chegam ao seu destino ao final do quinto livro quando encontram a diva botelha.
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
If you think repeated references to farts are funny, then you may enjoy this. For the rest of us, there were moments in the book that were mildly amusing. Overall way too long and filled with pointless verbosity. More isn't always better. ( )
  nlgeorge | Apr 4, 2018 |
I read this years ago in the Everyman's Library edition, which reprints an old translation by Sir Thomas Urquhart. Urquhart has been criticized for taking liberties with his translation--i.e., not translating the text "accurately." To that I say: so what! I'm never going to read this book in French. And Urquhart was himself a brilliant writer, and his translation is a marvel. So over-the-top funny and strange, such verbose genuis, I had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
Tell me, does this ever stop being a big law school in-joke? ( )
  sirk.bronstad | Feb 16, 2017 |
This collection of books began with the highest of the high, then proceeded immediately to tank miserably until it reached the lowest of the low. I read the version translated by Samuel Putnam, and in his hands, the word "lively" in the title was very well suited. The first book of Gargantua was a revelation, rich with linguistic acrobatics, profound in silliness, and filled to hilarity with hyperbole. I enjoyed every moment.

Then Pantagruel was born, and I wished he never was. I prefer the father, and the apple fell far from the tree. The first book on his life contained nothing I can remember. The second book contained hundreds of pages of a meandering conversation about whether or not his friend should marry. The third book had 20 or so pages on a missing hatchet? What a waste of my time. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |

Sandfort, J.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Screech, M. A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Urqhart, Sir ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Urquhart, Sir ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Most noble and illustrious drinkers, and you thrice precious pockified blades (for to you, and none else do I dedicate my writings), Alcibiades, in that dialogue of Plato's which is entitled The Banquet, whilst he was setting forth the praises of his schoolmaster Socrates (without all question the prince of philosophers), amongst other discourses to that purpose said that he resembled the Sileni.
So far as I am concerned, I would have every man put aside his proper business, take no care for his trade, and forget his own affairs, in order to devote himself entirely to this book. I would have him allow no distraction or hindrance from elsewhere to trouble his mind, until he knows it by heart; so that if the art of printing happened to die out, or all books should come to perish, everyone should be able, in time to come, to teach it thoroughly to his children, and to transmit it to his successors and survivors, as if from hand to hand, like some religious Cabala.
If you say to me: 'It does not seem very wise of you to have written down all this gay and empty balderdash for us,' I would reply that you do not show yourself much wiser by taking pleasure in the reading of it.
If you want to be good Pantagruelists, moreover - that is to say, to live in peace, joy, and health, always making good cheer - never trust in men who peer from under a cowl.
Friar John: "By my thirst, dear friend, when the snows are on the mountains - the head and chin, I mean - there's no great heat in the valleys of the cod-piece." Panurge: "By the blisters on your heels, you don't understand plain logic. When the snow's on the mountains there is thunder, lightning, whirlwinds, avalanches, tempests and all the devils in the valleys...You mock me for my greying hair, but you don't consider that my nature is like the leeks, which we find white on top when its tail's green, straight, and vigorous."
This work does indeed contain all five of the books of Gargantua and Pantagruel (i.e. Gargantua, Pantagruel, The Third Book, The Fourth Book, The Fifth Book), even though in some cases (e.g. the Penguin Classics edition), only ‘Gargantua’ and ‘Pantagruel’ are mentioned on the front cover.

Any editions consisting of only ‘Gargantua’ and ‘Pantagruel’ (check the table of contents) should be separated from this work.
This work consists of the five books of Gargantua and Pantagruel, i.e.:
- Gargantua
- Pantagruel
- The Third Book (Le tiers livre)
- The Fourth Book (Le quart livre)
- The Fifth Book (Le cinquième livre)
Should not be combined with editions that contain only the first two books.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014044047X, Paperback)

This text parodies everyone from eminent classical authors and schoolmen to Rabelais's own acquaintances. But the brilliance of the book lies not merely in these learned references, but in the story into which they are woven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:32 -0400)

"The dazzling and exuberant comic 'Chronicles' of Rabelais (c. 1483-1552) are a feast of wisdom and laughter. Realism intertwines with carnivalesque fantasy, Renaissance learning with obscene humour to make readers look at the world afresh. Pantagruel, a tale of comic chivalry, satirizes lawyers, theologians and academic buffoons, while Gargantua mocks rash generals, idiotic monarchs and uncouth professors. It champions freedom and laughs at a dirty young giant before he turns into a splendid prince. Sequels lead into more complex and daring laughter and high mythology, often at the expense of Panurge - the mad, word-spinning companion of Pantagruel (who becomes a giant in wisdom, a Renaissance Socrates)."."M. A. Screech's translation captures Rabelais' ingenious wordplay and mastery of language. The introduction explores his individuality while comparing him to Shakespeare, and presents each book to open up the new horizons of Renaissance Europe. This edition also includes a chronology and notes."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible