Dark Age

by Pierce Brown

Series: Red Rising Saga (5)

Fantasy. Fiction. For a decade Darrow led a revolution against the corrupt color-coded Society. Now, outlawed by the very Republic he founded, he wages a rogue war on Mercury in hopes that he can still salvage the dream of Eo. But as he leaves death and destruction in his wake, is he still the hero who broke the chains? Or will another legend rise to take his place? Lysander au Lune, the heir in exile, has returned to the Core. Determined to bring peace back to mankind at the edge of his sword, he must overcome or unite the treacherous Gold families of the Core and face down Darrow over the skies of war-torn Mercury. But theirs are not the only fates hanging in the balance. On Luna, Mustang, Sovereign of the Republic, campaigns to unite the Republic behind her husband. Beset by political and criminal enemies, can she outwit her opponents in time to save him? Once a Red refugee, young Lyria now stands accused of treason, and her only hope is a desperate escape with unlikely new allies. Abducted by a new threat to the Republic, Pax and Electra, the children of Darrow and Sevro, must trust in Ephraim, a thief, for their salvation-and Ephraim must look to them for his chance at redemption. As alliances shift, break, and re-form-and power is seized, lost, and reclaimed-every player is at risk in a game of conquest that could turn the Rising into a new Dark Age.… (more)

Continuation of the Red Rising space opera saga.
So much war, so much death, so much one-upmanship, so much scheming. So good!

I love the all the new compatriot groups which formed in this one.
Can't wait for the next installment, Light Bringer, so see how this continues to pan out. ( )
  deslivres5 | Apr 22, 2024 |
Minus one star for another unnecessary cliffhanger ending ( )
  jazzbird61 | Feb 29, 2024 |
Really loved the previous books in the series, but this one started soooo slow (a real slog) and it had been a while since the last one some there was so much confusion about the characters (and who was who, and who had done what to whom) that I had to put it down. I might try again another time - sad because I was quite invested in the characters and story arc. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 22, 2023 |
Pros: Depth of character development, beautiful prose, new phrases like "Meat carpet."
Cons: Okay, dude, we get it. All hope is lost, everything sucks and everyone's gonna die.

I'd read it again though. ( )
  BreePye | Oct 6, 2023 |
So, here's the thing. I don't think I actually like Darrow anymore. He's had to make incredibly difficult decisions throughout the series and this just continues in Dark Age. I disagree with many of them and he has the arrogance of a Gold who was created to destroy and rebuild the society.

But, you know what? It doesn't matter because I continue to love this series. I love so many of the characters and it hurts when they get hurt (and die, because of course they do). Lyria especially who grows in this book to start to recognize she can make change happen. The world building continues to be superb. The world Pierce Brown has created continues to grow and develop.

In so many book series, it ends with the triumph. We never get to see what happens after. The pettiness and resistance to change. The day to day struggles that can result in everyday people thinking that life was easier in the oppressive society of before our hero's triumph. Not this series. We see some fighting to return to what was before. We see some fighting to change things. And we see some people thinking they know what society needs and they will fight to shape it in their vision, whether it be right or wrong.

The most upsetting thing in this book is now having to wait for the next in the series to be published. I can't wait. ( )
  MelMcK5 | Jul 31, 2023 |

Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Distinctions

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,095,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible