To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and…

To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Harold S. Kushner (Author)

Filled with wisdom and gentle humor, here is the essential book on Judaism's traditions and practices from the bestselling author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People. Both practical and spiritual, Kushner makes Jewish tradition relevant to a new generation as he explores its many facets.
Member:shacharr
Title:To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking
Authors:Harold S. Kushner (Author)
Info:Warner Books (1994), Edition: Revised ed., 304 pages

To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking by Harold S. Kushner (1993)

3-15

This chapter is actually a great chapter. I had a huge writeup about it but I guess my program decided it was going to eat it. Basically, this book is for everyone. It also stresses the concept of "Who is a Jew" into a more broader term. It has always been more than just a religion. It's a family.

17-48

Summary of many of the bible stories. I don't think this adds a lot to the book.

87-92

The calender. I like this calendar as it is much more like the calendar that I've been working with as a Wiccan. The lunar based system makes sense to me.

143-170

A reference to God as being able to be both male and female! "Functionally God is both male and female"! "people live on in our hearts, in the difference they made to the world, and in the mind of God"

Overall, I really like the book, it makes a lot of sense to me. I would love to have dinner with the man. ( )
  melsmarsh | Jan 28, 2014 |
Books on religion have an inherent problem for me. I want to learn about the faith BUT I don't want to be preached to. A disclaimer - I am Jewish so I have some familiarity with this religion. I would say that very good majority of this book did an excellent job explaining the different reasons for and backgrounds of the many facets to Judaism. Whether one is of that faith or not, the information provided was interesting and the author wrote in an easy, very personal method that I enjoyed. When I came to the final chunk of pages, it seemed a little proselytizing for my taste, but I understand that if you're going to read about Judaism they are going to crow all its qualities. I think It's an enjoyable read for anyone interested in one of the major world religions. ( )
  JeannetteK | Oct 18, 2012 |
NO OF PAGES: 304 SUB CAT I: Jewish Life SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: The author awakens readers to the exuberance and enjoyment, the rewards and relevance of Judaism today. Judaism gives us what we need-the words to say and the acts to do-in times of both joy and tragedy.NOTES: SUBTITLE: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
Rabbi Kushner writes simply and passionately about a wide variety of topics related to Judaism. Excellent as either a primer for the non-practicing Jew who wants to start reaching back to his or her religious roots, or for the non-Jew who wants to gain a greater understanding of this ancient religion. ( )
  fingerpost | Dec 12, 2009 |
Warner, 1993.
  northbethesdaumc | Aug 19, 2009 |
[None]
To Ariel and Isaac Haber, who promise me immortality
This is a book about Judaism, a-four-thousand-year-old tradition with ideas about what it means to be human and how to make the world a holy place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,313,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible