Captain Marvel: Earth's Mightiest Hero Vol.…
434405,276 (4)4

DeConnick is in the upper quartile of comic book writers.

I loved Wendy and the rest of carol's support network, but this just didn't grab me the way some other books have. ( )
  urnmo | Jul 29, 2019 |
I’ve always enjoyed Ms. Marvel when she appeared in the various Avengers runs. I was excited when I saw that not only was she getting her own series in the Marvel Now launch, but she would finally be CAPTAIN Marvel. I had high expectations, which were met and exceeded by this new take on the character. I originally read this run in summer of 2014 and was happy to add this trade collection volume 1 to my library (though I really want an omnibus – get on that, Marvel!).

Issues one through six are fantastic. It’s tough to pull off time travel stories without falling on your face, but DeConnick has done one of the best I have ever read. After being convinced by Captain America to take on the “Captain”, Carol inherits a T6 plane from her personal hero, pilot Helen Cobb. During her first flight, something happens that propels her to 1943 where a band of female soldiers are holding off Japanese soldiers with alien tech. And it only gets better from there with Carol jumping around in time, meeting the brave women who had to face extreme sexism to even become pilots, and learning about herself in the process.

Not only was I happy to see Carol finally become the Captain, but her redesigned costume is awesome. I particularly like the retractable “cowl” when she flies or goes into battle. And the sash around her waist isn’t just for decoration, Tony Stark designed it! I don’t usually comment on artwork since it’s so subjective, however, I loved it. Not only is itt beautifully rendered, but it also works perfectly for every part of the story.

The second half of the run, issues seven through twelves, was a little uneven. It began with a standalone adventure with Captain Marvel and another superheroine I wasn’t familiar with, Monica. And it featured the same art I was so impressed by in volume one. The story has great action sequences and Carol’s sense of humor is on display, much to my enjoyment. Where the book faltered a bit (for me) is in the remaining issues where we learn Captain Marvel can no longer fly. I’m not a fan of superpowered characters suddenly losing powers in order to contrive a plotline. And, it didn’t help that the artist changed at the same time. And it was a DRASTIC change. The two styles couldn’t be further apart. The new style reminds me of Ignacio Noe, whose art I don’t care for. It just wasn’t a good fit for Captain Marvel. That said, the ending teased the return of a villain integral to Carol’s past that has a lot of potential and which is expected to crossover with the Avengers series. And, DeConnick has earned some trust with her stellar writing up to this point.

Overall, though I’m hesitant about where the storyline may go, I’m still very impressed with Captain Marvel and will definitely continue the series. Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 15, 2018 |
Captain Marvel time travels, then fights a bird-villain.

Good. 6 of the 12 issues had an artist that I didn't like at all (although the other 6 have great art). None of the story lines have much resolution, if any. As with most superhero series, it's just assumed that I know who all of these characters are (and new ones just keep showing up). Despite a lot of time spent learning her origin story, I still don't know what her superpowers are (they seem to be more or less unlimited). I still had fun reading it, though. ( )
  comfypants | Apr 2, 2018 |
This volume collects issues #1-12 and begins with Carol Danvers and Captain America fighting Absorption Man and having a discussion as to why she won't go by the name Captain Marvel. The main reason is that she doesn't feel right about using the dead alien who saved her life's name as her own. She doesn't feel worthy.

Carol takes care of Tracy, an older woman who has cancer and whom Carol used to work for. Tracy is a tough bird who doesn't believe she needs to be taken care of but secretly likes it and depends on it. If she can't make it there's a young woman that she sends in her place and the two of them get along like cats and dogs.

Helen Cobb was a legend in the field of flight. She was one of the women trained as astronauts at the same time as the first ones, like Alan Shepherd and John Glenn, and outperformed all of them. She was the one who pushed to get women that chance. She was the one who also pushed to get women the chance to fly during World War II. She broke five records in her T-6 plane.

Now Helen has died and Carol takes her ashes up into the outer atmosphere of space. Helen has left Carol her T-6 plane and has asked that she prove that one of the records she broke with it, that has been in question, really stands by flying it herself. When she does something strange happens. After she breaks the record and decides to see how far she can go, suddenly the instruments stop working and the plane is going down.

When she lands there are Japanese soldiers there ready to capture her. She believes them to be holdovers from the war who refused to believe that it was over. Instead, she is rescued by a group of women calling themselves the Banshee Squad class of 1943. It seems the Japanese have what they call prowlers but are in actuality small Kree fighters. Carol doesn't want to upset the timeline but when she hears about the Kree weaponry she has no choice and reveals what she can do and when she comes from. She finds that the women also crash landed on this tiny island off the coast of Peru.

Carol finds a piece of an alien element and sees her plane flying overhead. First, she must help these women defeat the Japanese and then she will go on a long journey through multiple time jumps beginning with one where she meets Helen Cobb in the 1960s and the two of them jump together to try to fix the time problem. Or at least that's what Carol's plan is.

There's another comic in there where she fights alongside Monica, aka "Photon" or "Pulsar" with the friendly Frank in tow out on the sea looking at mysterious shipwrecks. In another comic, when Tony Stark hacks her phone and rearranges her schedule in order to fit in a visit from a friend of his, she's not happy. But then her day does not go as planned, big surprise. What is a surprise is to find out that she has a lesion on her brain that means she cannot fly anymore. Someone has sent one of her oldest enemies out to continuously attack her for some reason. Who is Captain Marvel if she cannot fly?

This is a great book that explores Carol's inner nature and her desire to live up to the name of Captain Marvel. Also, her drive to be the best pilot there is and her sadness that she can't break any more records for herself and have it be fair. Then there's her losing the ability to fly and what that does to her. She's been able to fly up into the earth's atmosphere and back without breaking a sweat. Now she can't even fly the height of a building. A different artist was chosen for these comics and it was a wise choice. The Carol in these comics looks a bit haggard and vulnerable, not quite so strong and formidable. Overall this book was really worth reading and I highly recommend it. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Dec 29, 2017 |

Kelly Sue DeConnickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sebela, ChristopherIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,141,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible