dismiss

Haroun and the sea of stories by Salman…

Haroun and the sea of stories (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Salman Rushdie

Series: Haroun (1)

4,131752,004 (4)241
The author of The Satanic Verses returns with his most humorous and accessible novel yet. This is the story of Haroun, a 12-year-old boy whose father Rashid is the greatest storyteller in a city so sad that it has forgotten its name. When the gift of gab suddenly deserts Rashid, Haroun sets out on an adventure to rescue his print.… (more)
Member:BnTAZ
Title:Haroun and the sea of stories
Authors:Salman Rushdie
Info:London : New York, N.Y. U.S.A. : Granta Books ; Viking Penguin, 1990.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (1990)

Recently added byMETR, Rivaton, elenaj, Vespers9, setmeravelles, jcoyte, private library, katebrarian, RaVini, bookedit
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene, Tim Spalding
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Rushdie's books focused around the Khalifa family are like a modern day Alice in Wonderland with a spicy bite from its Indian setting. The wordplay, characters, and plot all mirror those of Alice and like Carroll's book Rushdie's can and will be enjoyed by magic lovers of all ages.… (more)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (calmclam)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (thiagop)
    thiagop: Both books talk about literature in a fantastic way.
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (amanda4242)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (lorax)
    lorax: Both are beautifully written fairy tales about young people traveling to another world, readable by kids but with much for adults to enjoy.
    Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Word play and language are an intregal part of both books. Ella Minnow Pea is a bit more sophisticated, but for adults or teens who enjoyed Haroun and the Sea of Stories, I think they will also find Ella Minnow Pea very enjoyable.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (aethercowboy)

English (72)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
A delightful book, rich in language. I would like to read it out loud to my students. ( )
  dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |
2.5 stars. Cute and occasionally witty, but at points it was repetitive and dragged. I've heard comparisons made to The Phantom Tollbooth and I honestly think that The Phantom Tollbooth is the better story, by far. ( )
  gleipnir | Jun 20, 2020 |
This was so good - what a pleasant surprise!

I didn't expect much going into this because I generally don't enjoy fairy tales and am also not the biggest fan of super whimsical stories, but this was a blast. It was very funny, played with lots of different stories, and meanwhile was a genuinely fun adventure story. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Great storytelling. Great writing. Hope to read it to my daughter soon. ( )
  melissa0329 | May 12, 2020 |
I'm surprised that Viking listed this as a children's literature. There's nothing risque in it of course, and it is structured a little like Alice in Wonderland, but I think it will appeal to both children and adults with its playful style and malleable language. There are a lot of puns, rhymes and plentiful wordplay.

Rushdie is ceaselessly inventive, and his stories within stories are both traditionally complex, and compulsively readable. I quite like the central symbol of the source for all the world's stories. It is a thought-provoking concept. Where do our stories really come from? I think humans have a propensity for storytelling, that it is a social act. Yet it lives deeper in us as well, stemming from our beliefs in myths throughout history. Our reliance on stories is endless. Similarly, this book captures the fascination children have with stories and how this curiosity draws them to more deeply understand the world.

Readers will catch many literary references. Anyone who likes a fantastical tale will appreciate his dreamlike whimsy. What's more, this novel was in the same vein as Grace Lin's fantasy series. They both played with mythic concepts and applied the tropes to a nostalgic setting. Apparently, Haroun has a sequel. I will likely check it out, along with Rushdie's other, more intimidating novels.

I always took Rushdie for a serious fellow for some reason. I probably shouldn't lump him in with other award winners like Kundera, Eco or Pamuk. The more I learn about him the more unique his work appears. But this book proved to me that he has a sense of humor. That discovery will likely be reinforced in my later exploration of his oeuvre.

An easy start to an author I hope I will grow to love. ( )
  LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
". . . [a] remarkable new children's book . . . [T]he experiences that lie behind 'Haroun and the Sea of Stories' are nearly as fantastic as anything in the tale. . . . full of comic energy and lively verbal invention."

Rushdie, Salmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Birkbeck, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsh, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saaltink, StephanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stege, GiselaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zembla, Zenda, Xanadu:
A ll our dream-worlds may come true.
F airy lands are fearsome too.
A s I wander far from view
R ead, and bring me home to you.
There was once, in the country of Alifbay, a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name.
Still Haroun wanted to know why his parents hadn't had more children, but the only answer he ever got from Rashid was no answer at all:

'There's more to you, young Haroun Khalifa, than meets the blinking eye.'

Well, what was THAT supposed to mean? 'We used up our full quota of child-stuff just in making you,' Rashid explained. 'It's all packed in there, enough for maybe four-five kiddies. Yes, sir, more to you than the blinking eye can see.'

Straight answers were beyond the powers of Rashid Khalifa, who would never take a short cut if there was a longer, twistier road available.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,940,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible