The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

The Bone Witch

by Rin Chupeco

Sabriel by Garth Nix (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: A cultural tradition of Necromancy

"Then perhaps we should carve a world one day where the strength lies in who you are rather than in what they expect you to be"

This was a slow read but not in a bad way, I just needed time to digest all the lovely details the author wrote about. As you probably read somewhere, this books is Geisha meets Witches and necromancy. Honestly, I saw the words "Bone" and "Witch" together and knew I had to add this to my to-read list. I liked it even more when it became obvious that Tea, the main character will eventually turn into an antihero. Now, what I mean by "eventually" is that the book is written in two parts. First, is the present, in the POV of a bard, where a vengeful Tea narrates her story, which is the second part. This book is YA so there are the usual tropes, aside from the "I did not know I have powers" there's the love triangle trope, but what I like is that it's not forced, they don't magically just fall in love in an instant and the story revolves around Tea's coming of age and power, not really in her relationships. If you like coming of age, supernatural YA and detailed writing , then I suggest this for you. ( )
  jethplain | Feb 11, 2019 |
As with Rin Chupeco's previous books, I have to give a ton of love first and foremost to the cover designer. The Bone Witch stares at you off the shelf and demands that you pay attention to it. It begs you to read the synopsis, and be wooed by it. Then, you'll pick up the book and see that it is about a new world full of monsters, magic, and necromancy. A world where everyone wears their heart around their necks, and witches of all sorts live among the common people. A world where our protagonist finds that she isn't always welcome.

Yes, The Bone Witch definitely started off with a bang for me. The first line is perfection but, more than that, the first few chapters really draw you into the world that Chupeco is building. This story is told in flashbacks, as Tea remembers the child that she once was. It was a stunning way to do things, because you can see the innocence that she used to possess set starkly against the fierce and hardened woman that she is now. Each chapter pushed me further into Tea's life, and I happily followed along.

The one downside to this way of story telling, and I definitely know that this was partially because this is a first book and needs to set the stage, is that it is slow. As I mentioned above, the first few chapters fly by. Tea's abilities come to light, she's torn from everything she once knew, and set onto a path that she never expected to be on. Past that though, a lot of narrative ensues. Things slow down and, quite honestly, I ached for the flashbacks because I wanted more action. I wanted more of my fierce and cold bone witch, and her amazing powers. I wanted less of tea parties and polite conversation.

However, the benefit of telling the story this way is that it sets a detailed stage for the story to come. There are lot of characters introduced that, while they aren't that important this time around, you can tell will make a difference in Tea's further adventures. Since this book focused heavily on Tea's time as an apprentice, I see that she'll be growing into the next story. I can't deny that I was a slight bit disappointed that we missed out on more action, but I'm honestly also still really eager for more. I'll be picking up the next book for sure. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I was given a free galley of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a captivating tale of a society with an interesting caste system. The young protagonist is drawn from her home by her own unique abilities and pulled into a society reminiscent of the geisha mixed with a magical hierarchy. Despite their attempts to control her actions, she forges her own path and in this first book she sets her feet on a path that will lead to destruction and possibly the founding of a new society. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
Book club video

3.5 stars.
This book was massive prequel. The ending is a disappointment that leaves you wanting more. The good news? It's still a really interesting and unique world. I loved a lot of things about it. Ness said it best in book club it's like book 1 and 3 of a 4 part series. I'm excited for book two. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |

roses7184 | Oct 9, 2018 |

Tea's gift for death magic means that she is a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community, but when an older bone witch trains her to become an asha--one who can wield elemental magic--Tea will have to overcome her obstacles and make a powerful choice in the face of danger as dark forces approach.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,563,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible